27 February 2011

David Popely

You might recall I mentioned David Popely's unfortunate accident at the beginning of last week. Well I'm pleased to report that he is out of hospital and now back at home and recovering. He was very kind to send me a message for you all to see:

This is just to thank all of you who have posted such wonderful messages of goodwill over the last week, on Twitter and on the Philofaxy website. As some of you know, I had a bad accident at home last Sunday, falling from a step-ladder, breaking my right elbow (which had been previously broken in 2005 and was already subject to internal wiring and metal plating) and also compound-fracturing my upper arm in four places. I've spent a week in Yeovil District Hospital, Somerset, England, been to surgery twice (once on an 'emergency' basis, which was a new experience!) and am now back home to continue my recovery.

The good wishes of all my friends on Philofaxy has been so much appreciated, and I wanted to put this message somewhere where it can be seen by all, without getting lost further down the site in the comments - so thank you Steve!

My Personal FF has been at my side throughout the last week, but typically of me it's my writing arm I have damaged, so I am currently finding it much easier to type than to use pen or pencil and paper.....so I will most likely be resorting to some electronic means of organisation while my dexterity improves!

Thanks again to all my friends here, and I look forward to being a full contributor once again very soon!

With very best wishes

David Popely
Take it easy David and let us all hope you make a speedy recovery and keep off the step ladder!! 

15 comments:

  1. David I am glad you are feeling better and that you are out of hospital now. I hope you aren't in too much pain. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, so happy to hear that you are doing better. best wishes for a speedy recovery to you and your family. i would send you a casserole or something if i wasn't in another country.

    steve, thanks for posting this. i had been thinking of david everyday since the post about the accident.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David I'm so glad to hear you are recovering at home. I hope your recovery is quick and comfortable!

    Steve thank you very much for posting this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. CB thank you...I know you will understand when I say that I have an excellent consultant, who has been an absolute genius over the last week. The pain is fine so long as I stay on the tablets!

    Colie, a casserole by post (jiffy bag?) is an awesome thought, but probably not worth the effort! But thank you!

    Laurie, lovely to hear from you, and I trust all is well with you.....looking forward to being back in full swing very soon! First I have a whole raft of doctor and hospital appts over the next 4 weeks, so I will mostly be concentrating on fulfilling those and doing my physio in a proper manner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you are on the mend - I grew up just outside Yeovil in North Cadbury so I know the area and the hospital very well. Hope they are taking good care of you

    Here is to a speedy recovery so you can get back to writing in your Filo soon :0)

    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  6. David, I am so relieved to hear you are on the mend! I thought of you a few times in the week. My dad lives in Ilminster, so not too far from your neck of the woods. I hope you are not in too much pain, and that they have given you regular and effective pain killers to come home with. A nice tasty steak from Bonners in Ilminster will speed up your healing no end I'm sure!!!!!Bags of iron!!! Spinach quiche from their deli, if you're veggie!!! Seriously, get well soon and treat yourself kindly whilst on the mend. Jane. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best wishes for a continued speedy recovery David. I always enjoy your comments, and will look forward to future updates on your condition.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to all of you. Jane, I'll definitely remember the Bonners recommendation, although we tend to find the Martock and South Petherton butchers really good as well! Crufter, I'll definitely be aiming to be dextrous enough to comment soon, although as already mentioned, I'm migrating short-term to an electronic organisational solution, as typing is currently so much easier!

    Loulou thanks, they are definite;y taking good care of me, as evidenced by the drugs mountain which has invaded the house and the serial hospital and surgery appointments which I how have to fulfil over the next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to hear you are doing better!

    Hope your recovery is speedy!

    Look forward to hearing from you in the future - both that you are doing well and your time management tips.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear you are mending well, David! After breaking six bones in half as many years, I understand what a process it can be.

    Continue resting, and let those around you spoil you!!! Then you can spoil us with more Filo comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi David, Really pleased to hear you are on the mend now. I know when I broke my arm (nowhere near as bad as yours) I took to using some software that I could speak into and the words appeared on my screen! It's amazing what you can do whilst in a cast as well!

    Hope you are on the mend now - make sure you get plenty of rest and relaxation whilst you can! It will be fun to discuss what new method you come up with to keep organised whilst you can't write properly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear David,
    Really pleased to hear you're on the mend. I know it will be frustrating while your writing arm heals but just take it steady.

    It'll be great to read all your posts again once you're up to it.

    Hope you have a speedy recovery.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  13. David, I wish you a very speedy recovery!!! Will be back to reading blog and commenting with all my Philofaxy friends now that my exam is finished!

    ReplyDelete
  14. David - I hope you are feeling much better! Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery!

    ~lauren.

    ReplyDelete
  15. David - hope that you are resting and recovering. Take care...

    ReplyDelete