1. When did you buy your first organiser and what was it?
My first “grown up” organiser was a beautiful personal sized teal Baroque Filofax. Prior to that, I had always used disposable yearly planner books - all completely boring and uninspiring. It wasn’t until I was planning my wedding that I found myself needing a more flexible (and fun!) system.
2. What other brands have you used or considered using?
Since coming to the dark side, I’ve always been a Filofax girl, but I have had some problems with the rings in the last year or two which has soured me a bit on the brand.
I’ve just recently ordered a beautiful Van Der Spek custom, which is in the mail as I type this - ahhhhh, the agony!!!!
3. Out of the organisers you own which is your current favourite (Style and Size)?
I’ve been using a beautiful A5 Brown Holborn Zip (Filofax) for a little over a year now and I love it. She is perfect except for her weak rings.
4. How many Filofax or other brands of organisers do you own?
I currently have my personal baroque (the original - I can’t bear to part with her!), a pocket brown Holborn, my A5 Holborn which sits on my desk, and my VDS in transit.
I have had others in the past which I have sold on, and I just gifted an A5 black sketch onto my (amazingly disorganised) mother, who at 54 years of age has just started a university degree.
5. What is the oldest organiser in your collection?
My personal teal baroque - she’s a beauty.
6. What do you use your organisers for?
I have a lot of freelance projects on the go at any one time so all my deadlines and to-dos are in the planner. I also track my daughter’s food intake, behaviours and specialist appointments. My husband works on an ever-changing weekly roster so I try to keep track of him in there as well.
I follow the Flylady for home organisation, and I track all my cleaning duties in the filofax. I do meal-planning and blog schedules and track business finances, and I also record all my big life moments there. Little ones too - like which book I’m currently reading and which TED talk I watch each day.. my planner is THE HUB.
7. What was the feature about Filofax you like most?
The flexibility of the binder system. My interests and priorities change frequently, so I loved the idea of just switching out the content whenever I needed to change focus.
8. If you could design your own Filofax what would it feature?
Bigger rings - and better quality too, that has been the big downfall for me. Otherwise my Holborn zip is just about the ideal planner. (Perhaps only until the VDS arrives?!?)
9. How do you carry your Filofax?
My planner stays at home. I work there so I don’t need to take it with me and it stays open on my desk most of the time. I do have a pocket holborn that I sometimes take out with me if I think I’ll need the notepaper or access to my contacts etc. If I do take it, it just gets thrown into my bag.
10. Which Filofax in the current range do you like the most? Are you going to buy it?
I’m completely obsessed with Van Der Spek right now so I don’t even know what the current Filofax range looks like.
11. What is the most you have ever spent on a Filofax or other brand of organiser? Which model?
My custom VDS is the most by far. I think it worked out to be about $350AUD including all the extras and international postage.
12. What's your favourite Filofax tip or hack?
For recurring to-dos and routines (like housekeeping duties) I place a clear flyleaf over the top of the page and use a whiteboard marker to mark off what I’ve done. At the end of the week, the flyleaf wipes clean and I can re-use the list without having to write it out again.
13. Turning to Philofaxy, what do you like the most?
Reviews mainly. Whenever I’ve considered a new planner, Philofaxy is always my first stop. Most recently I LOVED the VDS construction post. Fantastic idea and very informative.
14. And what do you not like about Philofaxy?
I had to stop visiting for a while there because every time I did I had the uncontrollable urge to buy a new Filofax!
15. What was the last music track you downloaded or bought?
The Frozen soundtrack - partly for my daughter, but mostly for my very burly, bearded husband who knows all the songs by heart!
16. Have you ever attended a Philofaxy meet-up? if not do you intend to one day?
No I haven’t. I love talking about my planner but I’m pretty shy so I probably wouldn’t be brave enough. Also, I’m not sure there would be one in my area.
17. What was the last movie you watched?
I honestly cannot remember!
18. What was the last book you read?
I’m currently reading World War Z
19. George Clooney or Brad Pitt?
Brad Pitt! I had a notebook filled with Brad Pitt pictures when I was about 16 (how embarrassing is that to admit?)
Thank you Nikki, and be sure to check out Nikki's blog. And if you would like to be featured on Reader Under the Spotlight please contact us at philofaxy at gmail dot com