05 March 2015

Guest Post - York Director Deskfax - Alan

Thank you Alan for this guest post, and I look forward to meeting Peter Layvine this summer. 

This is a followup to Steve's wonderful post about receiving a personal York, about my matching Brand New In Box (BNIB for people used to text-speak) York Director Deskfax.  I also feel I owe Peter Laywine this post.

Last spring, I was corresponding with Peter, who runs an eponymously named fine pen and organizer store, about his annual spring sale.  As the Deskfax Group had recently been set up on Facebook, I also asked him about Deskfax items, particularly punches, which several people were looking for.  Peter mentioned that he had a York Director Deskfax in the back that he was putting on sale.  When I popped into his store, he was not there, but one of his staff got it out.


The regular price was $425 and the staff member said it was 50% off.  I had never paid that much for an organizer, but it was lovely.



So I bought it.  A week later, I was back in the store and saw Peter.  “Did you buy the Deskfax?”  “Yes?” He laughed, “Well enjoy it, it was only supposed to be 25% off!”  This post is the long-overdue “Thank You!” to Peter.

The Deskfax came with many inserts, which I have removed.  As you can see the layout of the Deskfax is somewhat different than the personal.  Whereas the personal has a unzipped full-length pocket behind the cardslots, the Deskfax has a secretarial pocket and a zipped pocket.  The inside back cover of the Personal is where you find the zipped pocket, which has a slot for taking a pad of B5 paper in the Deskfax.


I have posted on Facebook about my setup, but I will share it here briefly.  I created an Excel file that allows me to have the identical week on one page layouts in my Deskfax, which stays in my home office, and my slimline personal.


I only carry one term, four months, at a time.  It is a VERY awkward system to get right for printing, but I only have to do this three times a year.  I will be exploring software that would make this process easier.

10 comments:

  1. That's a real beaut, Alan! Love the size too, as my A5 is too small, but A4 is way too big. *adds to wishlist!*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, the Deskfax size was discontinued. Occasionally new old stock pops up here and there, but quite a few show up on sales sites. I have a picture comparing the desk space used by an open A5 and Deskfax, and the difference is rather small. The other aspect of the Deskfax that I adore is that the ring spacing is compatible with the Personal.

      Delete
    2. Yes - the compatibility of rings as you move from pocket to personal to Deskfax gave an integrity to the range that has since been lost.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your bargain, Alan! What a beautiful binder. I would imagine that this size works well alongside your slimline for portability.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this, Alan.....

    Very handsome and substantial looking binder....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice looking binder, but I'm particularly interested in the inserts. I'd say you've done a fine job designing them. I'd be interested to hear how you make a dual-binder system work in practice. I've tried, and failed.

    Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biggest aspect is that all my classes (and other fixed commitments) for the term are blocked out and colour-coded indicating where I am teaching, roughly based on the Schools' colours. The slimline personal is the primary planner, where I jot down lists, appointments, etc. I try to make a point of transferring appointments to the Deskfax every few days..I use a good 28lb (100-105gsm) paper in the Deskfax, so it is a joy to write in, which helps with the discipline of transferring what shows up in the slimline. (The slimline inserts are printed on 16lb, 60gsm paper for slimness, and the next time, I will be trying Tomoe River paper. As the last paragraph says, the system is quite awkward as far as the printing is concerned, so I am looking to see what software might do it more painlessly.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have one of these that I bought many years ago in a charity shop and have never used as I have some inserts but not enough to really use it. If you would like copies of the inserts I have I am more than happy to send. Do you have docs that you have made that I can copy so mine is fully useable. I know it's big and clonky however would be ridiculously impressive to whip out in a meeting!!

    ReplyDelete