Pages

27 July 2026

Filofax Beginners Guide - Part 2

This is part 2 of the beginners guide, although established users might also pick up one or two tips. 

Starting to use your Filofax

1. Start with a Clear Structure

  • Divide your Filofax into sections that match your needs: Calendar, Tasks, Notes, Contacts, Projects, etc.
  • Use tabbed dividers to separate sections for quick access.
  • Keep frequently used sections (like your calendar or to-do list) at the front.

2. Use the Calendar Effectively

  • Daily pages: Jot down appointments, deadlines, and time-blocked tasks.
  • Weekly/Monthly spreads: Use these for big-picture planning—birthdays, bill due dates, or long-term goals.
  • Colour-code events (e.g., work in blue, personal in green) for at-a-glance clarity.

3. Master Your Task List

  • Prioritise: Use symbols (⭐, !, →) or highlighters to mark urgent or important tasks.
  • Break it down: Split big tasks into smaller, actionable steps.
  • Review daily: Cross off completed tasks and migrate unfinished ones to the next day.

4. Leverage the Notes Section

  • Use it for brain dumps, ideas, or meeting notes.
  • Keep a running list of recurring tasks (e.g., grocery items, packing lists).
  • Add inspirational quotes or goals to keep you motivated.

5. Customise for Your Workflow

  • Inserts: Add custom pages like habit trackers, budget sheets, or project timelines.
  • Sticky notes: Use them for temporary reminders or to flag important pages.
  • Pockets: Store receipts, business cards, or loose papers in the built-in pockets.

6. Weekly Review Ritual

Every Sunday (or Monday morning), spend 10–15 minutes:

  • Review the past week: What worked? What didn’t?
  • Plan the upcoming week: Schedule tasks, set priorities, and check deadlines.
  • Clean up: Remove outdated notes, file loose papers, and archive completed projects.

7. Keep It Portable

  • Carry your Filofax everywhere—it’s only useful if you use it!
  • If it’s too bulky, consider a compact size (e.g., Personal or Pocket) for daily use.

8. Digital + Analogue Hybrid

  • Sync important dates with your phone calendar for backup.
  • Use your Filofax for deep work and reflection, and digital tools for quick reminders.

9. Personalise It

  • Decorate with stickers, washi tape, or custom covers to make it enjoyable to use.
  • Experiment with different layouts (vertical, horizontal, grid) to see what fits your style.

10. Be Consistent

  • The key to success is daily use. Even 5 minutes a day keeps you on track.

Pro Tip: Start simple—don’t overcomplicate it. Your Filofax should serve you, not the other way around.

Remember Philofaxy has inserts and files you can download, modify and print for most needs. 

Thank you for your feedback on part 1 of this guide. I'm starting to put together thoughts and ideas for Part 3. 

4 comments:

  1. This is great. Thank you, Steve. I wish I had this about ten years ago when I first started in Filofax world. I love structure. (Sorry, I can't figure out how to change my name field, I will post this as anonymous) Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, you contribute so incredibly much to preserving Filofax culture—with your book, the Philofaxy website... There simply needs to be a hub where people can read up on things, exchange ideas, or just find inspiration. Thank you!
    Regarding this post specifically: Sometimes it’s just good to strip things that seem complicated back down to their essentials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's an incredible cointribution. I am a bit disappointed by the lack of readers comments, feedback and contributions.

      The question is: What could be done to improve the user acceptance and interaction?

      * Add a "recent comments" widget, to keep discussions alive
      * Create more index posts like recently for the Filohax posts
      * Recurring topics, for example "Your worst shopping experience - Rate and tax this Filofax", or continue previous topics as "Blast from the Past" series
      * A simple "are you alive" call (maybe monthly or quarterly), where everyone can leave a short comment from "Yes" to a short summary of current activities/findings

      Hans

      Delete
    2. Hans
      I'm not sure what your comment has to do with the post. But I will answer your points here:

      1. The recent comments widget doesn't exist on Blogger, I think you are thinking of Wordpress? But I did look for it
      Please don't suggest converting the site to Wordpress... I tried it doesn't work mainly because of the size of Philofaxy both in the number of posts and the thousands of comments and images.
      2. Suggest what we could index?
      3. Too negative? You have a poor shipping experience take it up with the company, we are not customer service for any of the companies.
      4. That's what the Free For All posts are for?

      Delete