I admit that's how I've been feeling a bit recently, so I realised that I was overdue for my monthly review of my Filofax. When I do this, I don't have an exact process each time, but it's a general tidy up, review of projects and whatever else needs doing to help me feel a bit more in control.
Something that I concentrated on more this time was to ensure that any item on my to-do list has a clear descriptive verb, so that I know what I actually need to do. For example, I've recently started to use 'look into...' at the start of a next action and am finding this very useful, especially if it's something that needs more thinking or research done.
Have you done a review of your organiser recently and if so, is there anything that you'd like to share about any tweaks that you made?
And as always on Fridays, please feel free to discuss anything organiser related. I hope that you have a good weekend.
Hi All. Only just encountered this blog. What a joy. Here's my Filofax story: I retired a couple of years ago from being a Corporate Librarian in the City of London, so yes I was part of the 80s organiser generation. I had been running a Personal sized Filofax for decades. But when I retired I put it away thinking it was a mere business tool I no longer required. Then I began to miss it and tried to start using it again. But now my life was less busy and it was simply to big. I had actually forgotten that I had an unused (don't ask) Filofax Pocket. This is now perfect for my smaller world. I have gone minimalist and only have diary and notes because that's all I need. This is the real beauty of the Filofax -- it's adaptability.
ReplyDeleteLovely that you had the pocket organiser already. It was meant to be.
DeleteWelcome! Do you know which model your pocket Filofax is? (PS if you get lonely for the personal, you can always go with its originally intended use: as a file of facts. That's what my EDC is, because my planner is in a bound pocket journal. Go figure. ;)
DeleteYes. It's a Bridle. A file of facts is a very tempting retirement project ...
ReplyDeleteBridles are beautiful. I like the funky shape of the strap.
DeleteIndeed they are, but of course you can't get them to lay flat due to the thick leather.
ReplyDeleteI have used a variety of writing instruments in my Filofax: Ink and gel (Kaweco), Ballpoint (Lamy, Bellograf), Mechanical Pencils (Rotring, Koh I Noor, Ohto, Kitaboshi, Pentel). But have never really been happy with any of them -- too slippy, too blotchy, too bleedy, too light. I have always ended up retreating to my old friends the traditional wooden pencil. It's what I use everyday for study notes in a small grided Kokuyo
ReplyDelete'Sketch Book' (although there it's a 2B, Filofax is HB). My current choice is the Staedtler Mars Lumograph. Has anyone else had the first world stress of a selecting a suitable writing instrument?
Hello Philip!
DeleteOh yes, I have! I’m actually a huge fan of the Parker "51." But when it comes to my Filofax, the ballpoint pen reigns supreme. I really think the paper—usually very thin and sometimes waxed—is actually designed for it. A mechanical pencil could be an option, but then everything looks drab and gray in my eyes, and highlighters don't work very well either. And as for those Frixion pens that are so popular around here—I completely distrust them. Nothing that just disappears on its own!
Hi Klaus. Glad you have found your perfect partner! That relationship between pen and paper can be quite an intimate one. Ah ballpoints. I just can't get them to work for me. Recently bought a couple of Swedish Bellograf Epochs ballpoints, supposedly amongst the best in the world and they indeed look and feel fantastic, but they skip across the page and my handwriting suffers at speed.
ReplyDeleteMy go-to refill is the Parker Quinkflow for various Parker models. However, I also quite like the Lamy M16 in my CP1 or Uniq. With my Montblancs, the pens often don’t even fit into the pen loop. My latest “discovery,” though, is Cross pens and refills. And most recently, Filofax ballpoint pens—which, as it turns out, also take Cross refills.
Delete