What questions or discussion points have you got for us today?It doesn't matter if you are a beginner or a more experienced user of organisers, we want to hear your thoughts, questions, opinions etc.
We are here to answer your questions.
Make today the one day you post a comment or post a question. If you are commenting as 'Anonymous', please include your name in the text of your comment.
It is Tuesday after all, so fire away with any questions and comments.
If you are commenting below, please include your first name at the end of the comment. Thank you.
|
|
|




I knew my mother liked Parker ballpoint pens so, some years ago, I gifted her a nice one with some fancy notelets (remember them?).
ReplyDeleteWhen my sister was going through our mother's effects she came across the pen, unused and still in the presentation box, and returned it to me. This was 15 years after the original present had been given. Despite it being shocking pink, I started using it to make short data entries in a ledger.
After just over 3 years of almost daily use, the original cartridge ran out (by now 18+ years old). I replaced it with a standard Parker-branded refill from John Lewis. The original cartridge was marked as 'blue, medium'. The replacement, marked identically, was a much lighter shade of blue and gave a noticeably thicker line, but I could live with that.
The problem came with the longevity of that and subsequent replacements, ranging from no more than a month to literally two days! I've tried other brand G2 refills, but they either have equally short lives or worse, quickly develop gaps in the flow.
My friend Claude tells me that at some stage Parker changed the formulation from an oil-based ink (with an almost unlimited shelf-life) to something much inferior with an 18-months shelf life, meaning that retailers with large stocks may well be supplying cartridges which are already out-of-date.
Could any of the pen gurus out there recommend a brand that manufactures easily available G2 refills that give a decent lifespan and write smoothly on everyday paper? I would like to continue using the pen (which has aged well, now showing some brass on the barrel) but all those I've tried since giving up on Parker have had one fault or another.
This is quite a big topic but I will try to keep it brief.
DeleteGenerally you have oil based (traditional ballpoint) and gel inks - newer free flowing. The oil based inks last a lot longer. Whilst Parker still produce both they promote the gel ones and it is possible that you have a gel refill.
Even if you have been unfortunate with a short lived ballpoint refill, the great news is that there is a myriad of fabulous refills from other manufacturers. All long lasting and the writing experience really goes up a level.
Cultpens are a great resource here as they have a full section on Parker compatible refills.
If you want long life then pressurised refills generally last longest from Fisher(different format but come with an adaptor) or Schmidt plus you can write upside down, underwater or in space should you need to.
Here are some recommendations:
1. Mitsubishi Jetstream - widely regarded as the best andnd go down to XF but expensive.
2. Schmidt P950M is a pressurised refill and late well
3. Fisher with the adaptor is still one of the best out there and lasts for years.
4. Schmidt 9000M EasyFlow is a hybrid - dark like gel but oil based I think and lasts longer
5. Ohto PS-107NP - be careful they do a similar looking gel as well - is a lovely needlepoint refill - perfect for a Filofax.
Great stuff Nibs - that was exactly the practical advice I needed! I've ordered a selection of your recommendations and owe you a drink.
ReplyDelete