31 August 2026

Planning for a medical emergency with your organiser.

Back in 2020, I had an unexpected stay in a local hospital, not unpleasant by any means, but just unexpected. In fact it was only my third ever stay in a hospital, and the longest as far as I'm aware. My previous hospital stay was back when I was only seventeen! Yes, decades ago.

Add in the fact that this was a French hospital and because of COVID-19 I was on my own, it tested my French language skills quite a bit!.

Fortunately since then I've been monitored and well cared for so no repeat visits to the hospital, only routine annual check ups. 

Back in 2020 I quickly realised that without my smart phone to hand, I was lacking certain key information, I eventually did get my phone and my bag etc back again several hours later and I started making notes of the information I couldn't remember when asked by the Doctors and information that would have been useful to have with me in future, so I wouldn't have to attempt to commit it to memory.

I would assume that I would have to keep this information in the form of a card or a page in my organiser or similar. Depending on how much information you need will decide on what size card/page you use.

Relaxing in the hospital bed all wired up to the heart monitor I came up with the following list:
  • My name, date of birth - basically so if it was found they would know who the information on the card/page referred to.
  • House number/Postcode: Depending on where you live you might need to refine this information.
  • Emergency contact name and mobile phone number - No matter how hard I tried I could not remember Alison's phone number!
  • Doctors name and contact details - In case the people treating you need to contact them for more details on recent history. 
  • Blood Group:
  • Current Medication - If you are on regular medication this will help the Doctors, fortunately I had my tablets with me, but I couldn't remember their exact name!
  • Known Medical Conditions - What are you taking your regular medication for etc.
  • Allergies: What shouldn't they give you. 
  • Anything else? - this card/page should be considered to be a live document so it should be reviewed and updated from time to time. 

The card if you can make it say business card/credit card size printed on both sides has the advantage that you could easily carry it in your pocket/wallet all the time. You could also have a page in your organiser holding similar information in more detail.

I've created a simple document for you to download and edit then print out which ever page you want. Cut the page to size and punch it etc. They are all on A4 size but it should work if you resize the page to Letter size.

Download the file here. Card.docx  Card.pdf


You can edit the headings to suit yourself.

I hope you never need to use the card/page! Take care and stay healthy.

5 comments:

  1. It’s good to come back to this. When you last posted on the subject in July 2020 I reviewed my own card after discussing with my doctor. I added NHS (UK National Health Service Number).This is useful not only in your own country but if taken into a hospital overseas.
    As well as a physical card, few people seem to update their medical emergency information on their phone. As well as check for an ICE (In case of an emergency) card, if unconscious, response staff/volunteers would check your phone for information about you. If you turn off your phone and switch back on without entering a passcode or facial recognition, you should see the medical button that will show essential stored information such as name, age, next of kin etc. This only works if you have added it! As a keen fell walker, often out on my own, I regard both this and the physical card as essential.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tim
      Yes I've just finished my annual round of medical appointments and check ups and it reminded me to do an update of this post.

      Yes I am sure there will be variations on what needs to be recorded. Here we have a health smart card which gives people access to your health records etc It also has your social security number and photo on the card. I have my information in my small wallet next to the Carte Vitale (French health card)

      Thanks as always for your valuable comments.

      Delete
  2. Great idea Steve, thank you - do carry something roughly equivalent but not so neat. By the way as far as I can see both links point to .docx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve, Thank you, do carry something roughly equivalent bu not as neat. Both links seem to point to the word version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be ok now. Thanks for alerting me.

      Delete