Google+

30 November 2006

The Unbearable Thinness of a Year

I need to reread The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera. It's been too long. It's one of the first books I read out of college. One of the first books I chose to read as an adult, not had to read. No matter how many years I use a Filofax, I'm amazed on a daily basis how little paper a year fits onto. Not a year's worth of thinking or feeling, but certainly a year's worth of doing. A year seems like so much more to us little humans.

This picture shows the entire thickness of a year in week-per-2-pages in a Personal-size Filofax. And yet, it is so much more. A single word written in a diary can capture 1 or 6 or 60 hours of emotion, of thought, of revelation.

How much more does one need?

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Nan. This is part of the reason I'm moving to Filofax--simplicity. Tired of wrestling with different Palm programs, tired of wrestling with the synching. What I loved about the Moleskine planner was it's simple (not adaptable, but simple.) Even the busiest among us shouldn't require complicated tools to put our time and lives in order. Yes, a year can fit into a moderate number of pages. That's a good thing.

    My A5 chocolate classic is due to arrive on Monday (ordered from pencity.com, it shipped the same day). I'm looking forward to getting it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails