04 September 2026

Free For All Friday - No. 930 by Steve

Having a large collection of Filofax organisers is not quite as unusual these days as it was say 15 years ago. 

My own 'collection' hasn't grown that much in the last few years compared to say 10 years or more ago. My organisers are in varying sizes, mostly A5 and Personal size. 

Having changed to Personal size this year I have been using a variety of organisers, in some cases I've owned them for a few years but  not really used them that much. 

My question to you today for those of you that have a number of organisers in the size you mainly use is.. 

Do you cycle through them in a strict rota or do you pick the next one to use out randomly and at random intervals? 

Of course it is Friday so please feel free to discuss anything Filofax related. 

 

8 comments:

  1. For my EDC, I cycle among four different personals by season: a raspberry Finsbury for spring, a tan Buckingham for summer, a burnt orange Original for fall, and a crimson Lockwood for winter. Books, movies, and music are in a zipped cognac Lockwood, and travel is a brown Hamilton. I also use a red slimline Chester for on-the-go meetings and site visits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Does anyone have an idea where to investigate about vintage Filofax pens? Have they ever been popular? Or are there even users of the filofax branded pens among us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t use the Filofax brand pens myself as I use fountain pens. However, I gave my sister two Filofax pens last Christmas and she loves them. These are the standard ballpoints, not the erasable ink version. She reports the ink flow is good and they are reliable. Generally speaking, Filofax standard ballpoint pens can take Cross ballpoint refills. These I do have years of experience with - they are the only ballpoint I use regularly and the only ones where I have written multiple refills dry.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your reply, Pam. It’s good to know that they apparently use the Cross refills.

      Delete
    3. I think it depends a lot on the individual pen.

      Some time ago I received a Succes Mini planner with a Filofax "mini" pen supplied. The pen has a length of 105.5mm retracted, the refill has 70mm length,.

      This is what comes closest to the refill included:
      https://www.therefillguide.com/product/em-holzprodukte-mini-ballpoint-3048-d1-refill/

      Hans

      Delete
    4. Thanks for the interesting link, Hans! Filofax pens don't seem to play a major role in everyday use—and apparently not in the history of Filofax either. However, I was able to track some of them down in the catalogs—a valuable source of information, thanks to Philofaxy.

      Delete
  3. Cross list a mini ballpoint refill on their site so perhaps that could be one to track down and see if it fits Filofax mini pens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that must be this one:
      https://www.therefillguide.com/product/cross-mini-ballpoint-8518-d1-refill/
      There seems to be a certain level of standardisation, that website marks the refills as (D, D1).

      In the meantime I found the official description of the pen: "Filofax Mini Classic Writing Ballpen Rib".
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Filofax-Mini-Classic-Pen-Ribbed/dp/B000J6D8FE
      It's one of the few options for use with a Mini organiser.

      Hans

      Delete