26 April 2013

Paper Bytes Back

I received this in the mail yesterday so I thought I would share it with you...

Paper Bytes Back

Recent survey shows evidence that new technology boosts sales of stationery


Far from heralding the decline of traditional paper-based stationery, a recent survey commissioned by Filofax and Letts*  suggests that the advance of new technology has done just the opposite – with the use of personal organisers, diaries and notebooks rising by 21% over the last 12 months. 

People are finding that the most effective way for them to organise their lives is to use traditional paper-based stationery products as well as new technology – and any product that makes it easy to combine the two is likely to be a big success.

Consumers’ use of smartphones and tablets continues to grow but the survey also shows that when carrying out key organisational activities, significantly more people prefer paper-based products over digital devices.  The majority of cognitive psychologists believe that we remember things better when we write them down, rather than type them. Most people also apparently find it easier to plan or get their head around a complex issue using a hard copy of data instead of a digital one.

Men are more likely to use diaries at work than women*, but the main growth in paper-based stationery is being driven by the 79% of people (mainly women) who use a diary, notebook or organiser for social reasons.*

Sharon Golbey, Head of Marketing Services at Filofax says, ‘Recent product innovation at Filofax reflects the need to balance our reliance on the latest technology with the ease and flexibility of using paper. Organisers and diaries which are designed to complement technology are likely to become an increasingly important part of our range.’
   *YouGov research, March 2013, consulting more than 2,000 people and commissioned by Filofax and Letts

10 comments:

  1. That was also the topic of my blog today: http://kentfromoz.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy technology but there is nothing like paper to plan, study, etc. I use a diary (a couple actually) for work and rely on them heavily. I have always enjoyed stationery as a kid so using it in my work is no surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only agree to TRenae.
    As much as I like computers and the internet and all sorts of technical gadgets, I find the good old pen and paper much more reliable and easier to use and handle than any electronic device.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can agree with this anecdotally. I made the "mistake" of documenting a three-week cross-country (USA) drive by typing into a computer, with the intention of making a blog out of it eventually. To this day, there are a surprising number of details that I can't easily remember without reference. This is unbelievable when I consider, for countless reasons, how memorable an experience it all should have been.

    Since relocating to our new home, I've kept a paper journal in my various Filofaxes. In a year, entries have filled two Personal storage binders. Continually, my wife is amazed at my ability to recall dates, places and names reaching back the entire year that we've been here (Portland, OR). I entirely credit the act of handwriting. It might be slower entry (I type 100wpm) but ingrains far more deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, got this email and wondered if it was legitimately from Filofax. It looked like it came from another company on behalf of Filofax. Either way, the results are interesting. I have been finding that the younger generation seem interested in the "old ways." For instance, my niece (who is under 10), though she loves to FaceTime and text, has just discovered the US postal service and is now hand writing letters to her cousin. Maybe this is because stationery and the like are "retro" and that is cool. Dunno, just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can vouch for the company, they are the PR company used by Filofax UK.

      Delete
    2. I'd like to know more in depth figures, ad what wss the age of these women and men. Anyway, this was an interesting reading!

      Delete
    3. I'd like to know more in depth figures, ad what wss the age of these women and men. Anyway, this was an interesting reading!

      Delete
  6. I love the idea of the Evernote/Moleskine crossover, the write in analogue, store in digital idea. In an ideal world I'd love interactive paper. I will keep dreaming.

    ReplyDelete