23 November 2014

Reader Under the Spotlight - Aubrey

So today I would like to introduce you all to Aubrey

Hi I'm Aubrey based in the United States. I am a Special Needs teacher that is obsessed with Simple Living and using my planner to help me accomplish it! I have a degree in Youth Ministry and Behavioral Sciences, but am going back to school to get my official teaching license. I just bought a 528 square foot house and am in the process of downsizing all of my belongings to accomodate it! I have a blog detailing my journey! Feel free to drop by!

http://528squarefeet.blogspot.com/

1. When did you buy your first organiser and what was it?

My first organizer was an A5 Finsbury in Antique Rose. I received it as a graduation present from my hubby, after I graduated from college. I had my eye out for one for so long, that I begged and begged for it once I saw it! We ordered it off of Ebay and I even have them ship it to me at the hotel I was staying at on vacation! (I'm not the most patient girl!)

2. What other brands have you used or considered using?

Recently the Erin Condren brand has been really appealing. I really like her set up and designs. Her planner's have inspired me to keep motivational and/or positive quotes in my filofax so that I always have encouragement when I open it up!

3. Out of the organisers you own which is your current favourite (Style and Size)?

My favorite organizer is my personal Finsbury in Antique Rose. After having my A5 for so long, I decided to see if I loved the personal just as much as I had loved the A5! Turns out I love it so much more! The portability of it is fantastic, and the color and texture of it is so beautiful.

4. How many Filofax or other brands of organisers do you own?

I currently only own two Filofax planners and they are the only planners I have. While my heart does desire to have a big beautiful collection, I know that most will go unused. I like that I can still switch them out if I am in need of a change, but for now, two planners give me planner peace.

5. What is the oldest organiser in your collection?

Seeing as my collection is limited to two organizers, the oldest one I have is my Antique Rose finsbury. My other planner is an Ochre Malden and is still being sold today.

6. What do you use your organisers for?

I only use one planner at a time. As an advocate for simple living, I know that having more planners with different uses will clutter up my tiny house, and also my mind! After all, all those planners need planner supplies - pens, pencils, stickers, washi tape, etc! I am currently set up in my Personal Antique Rose and use it as a Daily planner and wallet. In it I keep a month at a glance, a months worth of daily pages, a check registry, and lined paper for to-do lists.

7. What was the feature about Filofax you like most?

My favorite feature about the Filofax is the ability to customize it to your personality and individual style. Not only do the vast range of leather textures and colors help to fit a vast amount of people's tastes, but the rings and all of the sizes help to further condense everything you need and like into one organizer. I also love the community of people and how we bounce information and inspiration back and forth. Everyone finds a way to make it there own, no two Filofaxes are the same, and that's what I love about it.

8. If you could design your own Filofax what would it feature?

If I could design my own Filofax I would create one very similar to the Original. The only thing I would change is the gloss finish to matte. I ordered an Fuchsia Original and loved the color but I was to OCD about fingerprints, smudges, and whatever seemed to show up on the outside. I was also way to concerned about scratching and indentations! Oh, and I'd add more pockets too!

9. How do you carry your Filofax?

I carry my Filofax like you would a wallet. Sometimes I just carry it by hand and put it on the dashboard of my car. Other times I will tote it along in my purse or work bag. It doesn't matter where I'm headed - my Filo is coming with me!

10. Which Filofax in the current range do you like the most? Are you going to buy it?

I really like the original Filofaxes right now. I have decided not to buy it because I know that I truly love the planners I have now and cannot justify splurging on another one. Adding another one to the mix will just complicated my system, and I have a feeling there will always be a "third wheel".

11. What is the most you have ever spent on a Filofax or other brand of organiser? Which model?

I just spend $100 on a personal Malden in Ochre. That is the most I've ever spent on a Filofax. My A5 Antique Rose was also just $100. I know that is a little overpriced for the planner, but it came with goodies, and that's how I justify it.

12. What's your favourite Filofax tip or hack?

My favorite Filofax tip is to not get too carried away. I know that seems crazy seeing how I just stated I loved the personalization Filofax offers, but that's the lesson I'm coming to learn. There are always going to be people out there with planners more organized, better decorated, and more creative than mine, and if I'm always striving to compete I ruin the ability to sit back and enjoy my planner. Yes, make it your own! Make it work for you, and realize that sometimes what works for you may not seem as glamorous or creative. But its working! Love your planner because it's yours and it works for you - not because it has the potential to look like someone else's!

13. Turning to Philofaxy, what do you like the most?

I love Philofaxy because it's a great resource to see how other people are using their planners! It's a great way to "steal" ideas and use them for your own life, and it's also got quality printables with a wonderful selection! I also love it because it addresses issues and problems that all Filofaxers face. It's current and knowledgeable - a perfect combination.

14. And what do you not like about Philofaxy?

The only thing that I do not like about Philofaxy is the layout. This is strictly a personal opinion but the overall template of the blog is a bit bland for me. I like color and quality images. But that's probably because I'm a millennial. I think it says so much about a blog if the only dislike I can think of is that I don't like the colors. Keep it up Philofaxy!

15. What was the last music track you downloaded or bought?

The last music track I downloaded was "Where Have You Been?" by Rihanna. I'm a runner and that song has such a great beat to step too!

16. Have you ever attended a Philofaxy meet-up? if not do you intend to one day? 

I have not ever attended a Philofaxy meet-up! I think it would be a blast to meet some of the people I've interacted with both on the blog and on the Facebook group! I hope that one day I am able to!

17. What was the last movie you watched?

The last movie I watched was Dracula with my husband. It was his birthday, so he got to pick. My feelings on it? Eh. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't awesome.

18. What was the last book you read?

The last book I read was II Kings in the Bible. I'm not that big of a reader. When I'm reading, it's usually the Bible.

19. George Clooney or Brad Pitt? 

That's a tough one. I'd have to say Clooney, because I've never really thought Pitt to be all that attractive.

Thank you Aubrey. As you know we are always looking for new people to appear in our 'Reader Under Spotlight feature, please contact Steve philofaxy at gmail dot com

4 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you, Aubrey. Enjoyed your interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to "meet" you, Aubrey! You are an amazing woman--you know what works for you with planners, and you are on a journey with your home that I look forward to reading about.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aubrey, thank you for a great post. As someone who shares your commitment to Simple Living, can i recommend the book Timeless Simplicity by John Lane? I understand that you're not an avid reader, but it's quite thin, and repays reading many times over........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha Me too I've never found Brad pitt that attractive! x

    ReplyDelete