16 November 2014

Reader Under the Spotlight - KerrieLynn

Today I would like to introduce you to KerrieLynn. 

Where do I start? 
The “Family” Me:  I have been married twice (the first was just a “practice” husband and we had one son together) the second husband is my “real” husband, we have been together for 21 years and we have two girls together. My son is 27 and my youngest is 11, which is quite an age span, but we will have the tax deduction almost until we retire, LOL!  I have been both a Cub Scout Leader and a Campfire Leader.  I can create a pretty awesome kid’s birthday bash (at least the kids thinks so anyway) and our family is usually hosting all the family birthdays, holidays and events, because you guessed it – I like to organize and be in charge!

The “Professional” Me:  I started out working in restaurants, quickly moved into management, but decided that restaurant work was not something I wanted to do my whole life so I went back to college at age 28.  I graduated with a degree in Paralegal Studies, but only ever did my internship in that field.  I currently work at a Sign & Theming company and have been with them for almost 18 years, starting out as an office assistant and now I manage the office, paperwork, permits, etc.  I also volunteer as our Homeowner’s Association as both the Secretary and Treasurer, but can’t stand it so I will be stepping down soon.  I have also done volunteer work with our local dog rescue group.

The “Personal” Me: I just recently celebrated my half century mark, but I only feel a half century old on some days (usually Monday through Friday).  I am a paper, stationary, organizing and crafting nerd and somewhat of a cheapskate.  I have had a few direct sales businesses over the years, but more as a hobby (I think it was the organizer in me that liked having a business).  I tend to be a leader rather than a follower and my big mouth sometimes doesn’t know when to be quiet, but I am working on it (ok, I work on it sometimes).  I run about five or six Facebook Groups (three of them are Planner related) and I have  had a few blogs over the years, but only have one left that is active – it is only about a year or so old and is primarily geared toward planning.  You can find it at http://www.Sparklefrogs.com if you would like to take a peek.  I also have a Facebook Page for the same and a YouTube Channel, but I only have one video on it, I hope to change that and add more videos in the near future.  I like to dabble in amateur blog designs (just for me), create custom planner inserts for myself (I put them up for free on my blog), craft and crochet.  I also love to read and my favorite vacation is to go camping with the family and yes we still go tent camping.  I think the “organizer” in me likes creating camping lists, packing and setting up the camping space almost as much as the actual vacation.  I am the “MacGyver” in our family…..everything always has two purposes, doesn’t it?  The purpose that it was originally designed for and the re-purpose that I can do with it.  Hmm, I am guessing that this is probably more than you ever wanted to know about me, so let’s move onto the questions.

1. When did you buy your first organiser and what was it?

My first organizer was probably purchased in the mid 1980s, when I was a direct sales representative for Tupperware.  I could not tell you what brand it was though.  Prior to that I just used spiral planners in high school and before that I used small diaries – as in “Dear Diary”.  I still have one of my first ones from 1978.

2. What other brands have you used or considered using?

In addition to the Filofax brand, I have used Franklin, Franklin Quest, Franklin Covey, Daytimer, Wilson and Kirkland.  I have considered both Van der Spek and Gillio, but the price has held me back.

3. Out of the organisers you own which is your current favourite (Style and Size)?

My favorite right now is the personal size Filofax Malden in Ochre.  I tend to gravitate toward this size as I carry my planner with me every day and it also functions as my wallet. I do use a couple of the larger planners at home for various things, but the only one that has an actual calendar/dairy of my daily stuff is my Malden, so I don’t have to worry about “syncing” calendars.

4. How many Filofax or other brands of organisers do you own?

I believe that my current collection is between 35 to 40 planners.

5. What is the oldest organiser in your collection?

Right now my oldest ones would be my Franklin Quest Planners in compact size (same ring configuration as Filofax personal).  I have three of them and the date range on those would be about the early to mid 90s.  I also just purchased (but have not received it yet) a Mundex Red Leather personal sized organizer, which is supposed to be from 1989.

6. What do you use your organisers for?

My everyday carry is used for scheduling, lists, info on immediate family, finances, tasks, contacts and my wallet.  I have a Franklin Covey Classic which primarily stays at home and has info on my oldest daughter’s online class schedule and some home maintenance info.  I also have a two Daytimers in Desk Size that I use at home, one is a prayer binder and one is a spiritual study binder.  I had a blog planner, but got rid of it as I did not need a whole planner for blogging so now my everyday carry has a list of blog post ideas and my FC Classic has a more detailed section where I can track my blog and social media stats.  I like to swap out my binders fairly often – I find “planner peace” by playing around with my various organizers.

7. What was the feature about Filofax you like most?

I like that so many people re-sell them!  I would rather buy from a specific person so that I can see actual images of the binder that I will be getting versus buying one on “faith” and hope that it shows up in good condition.

8. If you could design your own Filofax what would it feature?

I really like the personal Malden – but if I could re-design it, I would make it just  little bit wider, give it another pen loop, make the pen loop larger (so I don’t have to stretch them), give it an exterior pocket and give it rings that can be swapped out like the Franklin Covey binders.  A few more (easy to find) colors would be nice.

9. How do you carry your Filofax?

I toss it in my purse/bag with no protective cover – I don’t baby any of my organizers as I consider them to be a tool that needs to work for me and not create more work for me.  About the most I do to protect it is not throw my car keys directly in with it.

10. Which Filofax in the current range do you like the most? Are you going to buy it?

None in the current range other than I would like to get another personal Malden in another color.

11. What is the most you have ever spent on a Filofax or other brand of organiser? Which model?

The most I ever spent was $100 and that was for my personal Ochre Malden – before that the most I spent was $80 for a personal Holborn.

12. What's your favourite Filofax tip or hack?

I have many that I do – but the most recent was stretching the pen loop on my Malden, but I have also cut the zippers out of a couple of my Franklin Coveys (making them open binders), I have added a grommet to the back side of one of my leather Franklin Coveys so that I could add an elastic band closure and I have completely removed the rings from two different Daytimer Malibus and replaced them with Franklin Covey screw in rings.

13. Turning to Philofaxy, what do you like the most?

I enjoy the wealth of information!

14. And what do you not like about Philofaxy?

Hmmm, nothing negative comes to mind.

15. What was the last music track you downloaded or bought?

None – I listen to talk radio or whatever is playing on the radio station.

16. Have you ever attended a Philofaxy meet-up? if not do you intend to one day?

I have never attended a meet-up, we do have a very small group for those of us in the Pacific Northwest, but we have not coordinated a meet-up yet.  I would love to go to a meet-up as it would be a Show-n-Tell for adults!

17. What was the last movie you watched?

I don’t watch very many movies, but it was probably something stupid that just happened to be on t.v. like Sharknado or something.

18. What was the last book you read?

I read the bible all the time, but I think the most recent was re-reading the Left Behind series and before that I re-read the Outlander series for the fourth time (yes, I know I am weird and I read a lot).

19. George Clooney or Brad Pitt?

Brad Pitt – even though my person preference runs towards darker hair, Brad Pitt just has more of the “Bad Boy” persona!

Thank you KerrieLynn. As you know we are always looking for new people to appear in our 'Reader Under Spotlight feature, please contact Steve philofaxy at gmail dot com

5 comments:

  1. Yes! This fellow Pacific Northwesterner would definitely attend a meetup. Let's organize one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this so much! Thank you KerrieLynn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the Pacific NW, too! I'm brand new to the world of Filofax. Would love to attend a meetup. Loved your interview. I have prayer lists jotted down all over the place and am looking forward to getting them under control in my new FF.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to "meet" you KerrieLynn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did you stretch out the pen loop? That tiny pen loop in the Malden drives me crazy!

    And so nice to get better acquainted with you.

    ReplyDelete