28 August 2015

Free For All Friday No. 354

How are you at setting your own goals? Setting realistic deadlines for what you might achieve in a week?

During most routine weeks I manage my time and achieve most things fairly well. Alison and I tend to work as a team from the point of view of doing things around the house, having been married for coming up to 30 years, it is a fairly 'well oiled machine' !!

However, since we moved to France, we obviously are together a lot more and that took a little bit of getting used to. We have adjusted our tasks I suppose. We often do our own trips though and if I'm at home on my own I used to find it quite a struggle adapting to having to do everything, so I would often run out of time or not achieve as much as I thought I would in the week or so.

This week Alison is at a local literature festival in the south of our region, so I'm at home and so far the planning and tasks are going well.

Why? My organiser... yes of course... I wrote out a list in my usual way and then I've allocated each task to a day with the aim of doing it on that day and hopefully getting through the tasks by the time Alison returns on Saturday!!

One thing that helped me though was starting my plan early before Alison had left, she is very good at prompting me for things I need to do! I also looked at the weather forecast (very English!!) to see when to do things outside as well. As it happens it's been fairly accurate this week for here (for that read it has rained quite a bit!)

So all in all I'm feeling quite pleased with myself!!

Do you have weeks when it all goes to plan... because of the way you used your organiser?

And as it is a Friday you are of course free to discuss anything ring bound planner related.

13 comments:

  1. I have two jobs and am doing a distance learning degree with the OU, paper planning is invaluable to keep me on track!

    I also wanted to update on my question from the other week about the Filofax travel journal pack - Filofax responded to my email to say it has now been discontinued, which I think is a shame. I've made all my own now and am really happy with the set up for my travel fax (in a temperley ikat that everyone hates, but is actually really useful for traveling!) But thought I'd let you all know in case anyone else was looking for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie did a review of the Travel Journal Pack here: http://philofaxy.blogspot.com/2010/06/travel-journal-review.html I remember trying to locate a pack before I went to the USA/Canada but didn't find them.

      Delete
    2. Amazon has the pocket size http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005P7ZO9K/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B008D2DWQQ&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1SV2G2366ZXYNCYTGZX4

      Delete
    3. Many thanks Steve. I'm using personal but good to know there are still a few about!

      Delete
    4. An Ebay UK seller has them in Personal as well. And they conveniently list the contents... ideal if you are thinking of making something similar yourself ;) You were never able to buy extra sheets for these only the full pack.

      Delete
    5. These Filofax Lifestyle Packs (as they were called) came out in a blaze of publicity in 2009. The ones I remember were Family Organiser, City Dweller and Travel Journal, though there might have been others? They were prominently displayed at stationers and book shops in special promotional racks. Like so many Filofax initiatives, they didn't last long and soon ceased to be mentioned - unless you really hunted for remaining stocks. I would bet that even any items currently for sale will date from 2009.

      Delete
  2. I last saw a Travel pack, just a tad knocked about, at Hockey's, Bristol down sale walker this year. It was something like £30. Even at half price I was put off as it would have pushed me into a set pattern that was not me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a long time, I tried to schedule to much, I was not realistic about my goals. Once I accepted my own limitations, things got much better. Now, I really put a limit on tasks, and when I have all items done for a day, I can always go to my master list and find more to do. Many times I will pick a task that is enjoyable as a reward for getting the main tasks for that day accomplished for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve, Can you provide a link to the post about your setup? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is this the post you are looking for?

      http://philofaxy.blogspot.com/2014/09/my-set-up-by-steve.html

      Delete
  5. I would like to get the personal aqua Lockwood , but before, I would like to know if it's the same color as the malden aqua one?
    Thank you in advance for informations you could give.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,
    This might have been asked before but does anyone know what the weight of plain white Filofax paper is?
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete