26 October 2023

Passionate About Planning

We are all passionate about planning to some degree. You wouldn't be reading this if you weren't!!

I know some people are more passionate than others, may be. We see various levels of 'planner passion' in our community. 

'The sharers' the people that share their planning moments on various social media platforms, there are some that seem to be putting out videos every day/week. You might wonder how they find the time to do anything on their many lists even. 

I particularly love the people that share their thoughts on different set ups/sizes how they are using their planners and organisers to keep their heads above water in their mega-busy lives, juggling jobs and families and their own lives. 

We all come in to the planner world not quite sure about what will work for us. I've said it before, one size/type does not fit everyones needs, but there is a solution out there for most peoples needs. 

When I first started using a Filofax in 1986/87 there was no magic guide on how to use it. When I look back at my inserts from 1987 I was using it more as a journal than as a planner, my year planner from back then looks more like a planner for future events/meetings. 

There are a lot of us that don't share our set ups/page spreads/flip throughs etc we just use our organisers. They also might answer questions on Philofaxy or on Social Media, giving back their experience and knowledge built up over the years. They are as appreciated as everyone else. 

I occasionally come across people that are Filofax users, have been for many years, but they wouldn't think to look at Philofaxy, or to join a Facebook Group or similar. To them it's just a planning tool, one that they have been using in their own way for years, sometimes decades. It is interesting to talk to these people because they often come up with bits of information about their system or their organiser you might not have realised before or known about. They are in a way a closed book of information that is wanting to be explored. 

There are of course businesses, naturally planners is their source of income, so they are naturally going to be passionate about their products. Mixing these people in with the community of planner users leads to some very interesting conversations and discoveries. They discover how people are using their products and how small changes could improve the products. 

Over time I've spread myself over most of these examples to one extent or another, but I've never stopped enjoying mixing with all people in the planner/Filofax community.

5 comments:

  1. I first became passionate about planning about 25 years ago when a coworker showed me her Filofax-like binder organiser, and I had to have one of my own! That began a journey that led me through lots of big life changes, all navigated using planners. I'd always used a planner in university and graduate school, but as my life became more complicated I came to rely on my planner more and more. These days I cannot function without my planner. There's too much going on to keep it all in my head. I use my phone for reminder notifications but I can't plan ahead with it.

    I first discovered Philofaxy while desperately looking online for ways to use my Filofax that would solve all my planning issues. Back in those days there was barely anything online about planners! This was one of the few places to look. Honestly I'm glad I'm not discovering planners just now, I think it would be way too overwhelming. Over the years I have tried so many planners, some worked at the time and others didn't. It's been fun and frustrating to try. I'm so glad to have found a planner community online!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad I found Philofaxy, and enjoyed a London Meet up a good few years ago. I can't contemplate that travel now!! So extra special memories. The only downside for me is, I see all this gorgeous stuff for planning, and my buying resistance is lowered!! EEK, such lovely things!! Seriously though a fabulous community to have discovered, so thanks to Steve and many others on here. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderfully positive and inclusive post. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your appreciation of the planner community, including those who just do their own thing :)
    Zara M, (Filofancy) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I first got into planning via Time Manager then TimeSystem. Seems like an age ago then I grew out of it as computers came to the fore. Now in my dotage I am coming back to a journal/ planner as a way of fending off memory shrinkage. I remember someone saying their brain was too small to contain everything and only by writing it down could they manage. Now I have found Philofaxy I am working out how to use my A5 Time System binder and my Filofax personals and disappearing down the rabbit hole of fountain pens. I just wish I had kept up with my planner over the interim.

    ReplyDelete