19 October 2023

Planning Ahead

If I have an event or a trip coming up in a few months time, I love the planning phase, almost as much as the event it self! 

Yes I will put my hand up if anyone accuses me of 'over-planning' !!

I like to think well ahead of the trip, what I will need to take using my travel packing list, looking at maps, if it's somewhere I've not been to before. 

If I'm driving there I look at the EV charging points en route or near to the destination and alternatives and make a note of those in my organiser. 

I end up with a few pages of information, some on pre-printed inserts that I've created/used for several years, but also using simple lined coloured paper, these pages are inserted close to the date of the event and they 'stand-out' in the stack of pages. I will also insert a 'Today' marker at that week as well so I can quickly turn to that week. 

On my computer I will create a list of sites that I bookmark within Protopage, so they are easy to find again. These might be links to the hotel, shops nearby, transport sites etc. 

If I'm going by train or by air, I print off my tickets and my hotel reservation details. Yes, I know there are e-tickets, but I still like to have a paper copy, even if I don't use them on the journey! They are there 'just in case' 

When it comes to packing... and what luggage I will use, that is when we are getting close to the departure day. I'm ticking off things on my packing list to make sure I've not forgotten anything. I have some favourite bags that I use for short weekend trips for carrying the variety of items needed these days! That's a whole topic in itself! 

You would be correct in thinking that I don't like 'last minute' or 'being rushed' 

I use my Filofax Travel Wallet to carry tickets and documents etc.

I've started to use a 'On return' list, so nothing gets forgotten when I get back home to France. 

Do you enjoy planning for events? With Christmas approaching, there is no harm in getting ahead of the last minute rush, use a dedicated section of your organiser or a separate organiser, a slimline or compact may be. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you Steve. For me the planning is just as pleasurable (and as important) as the trip itself. Most of my trips are for business so the precise contents of my bag (and which bag I need) are different, but the pleasure and security of knowing I've left properly prepared is well worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete