12 July 2024

Free For All Friday - No. 818 by Anita

After writing my previous Free For All Friday about my top reasons for still using a Filofax, it occurred to me that I had left out something about how I find them enjoyable and tactile objects to use. I'm a frugal person by nature, so once upon a time I would've only purchased the cheapest ones available, but I had some birthday money saved up, so instead treated myself to a more expensive leather one when I bought my first one. I attended a Catholic school for a couple of years, which was mostly taught by the nuns there, so I think a Filofax also reminds me of a very much loved and used leather bible that my favourite teacher owned. 

I love the patina that a leather organiser can develop, and how it soften and improve with age. I think that Janet's vintage Van der Spek has aged so beautifully and has so much character.

Kensington - when first purchased (new to me) in 2014

Recent photo - a decade of regular use

Do you have a preference between organisers that have patina or ones that look like they were when purchased?

And as always on Fridays, please feel free to discuss anything organiser related. I hope that you have a great weekend. 

6 comments:

  1. My very favourite binder (not in current daily use) is my brown Cavendish. I exchanged my previous navy version for this in a direct swap with an ex Philofaxy friend at an unofficial get-together a good few years back, in London. I remember the exact circumstances.

    Over the years it has developed the most wonderful patina, and though the rings still align perfectly it really looks like the long owned, much loved tool that it is. When I look at it, I can see the entire history of my Filofax usage right there.

    I recently bought a brand new Cuban Personal. It came out of the box sleek and shiny, but it has nothing to match the character of that Cavendish, because the Cavendish has years of my personal history not just in between but also on the covers.

    Maybe in another forty years, when I've left this earth, it will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Pamalison here. I don't mind my possessions showing a bit of wear, but I do like them to give the impression that I look after them. Then again, I'm not bumming around the Sahara for 6 months with my Filofax stuffed in a backpack, so it's not likely to get too much wear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good patina! However, that being said, I like to buy them new (or very nearly new) and enjoy the process of it wearing in and getting that patina as I use it and love it.

    ~Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessie from Pittsburgh stateside here. I like my planners to have a very nominal appearance of wear. Except for my personal Malden Ochre. As much as I protected and cared for her, it was not enough. Her inner corner edges shows constant notepad imprints. Cleaning has her closer to a deepened Ochre-Brown shade. Yet, I have my Kenneth Cole NY planner, in Cognac, that's almost 30 years. It is the same color, no patina, with a few accidental markings when I purchased it at work. I wrote the order for Data Entry then a few hours later it was delivered to my office (🎶memories..🎶). I have other KCNY planners but they're either Black or Dark Brown like the Finchley. I love that Kenneth designed them for the rings to be easily slipped in and out any of his planners. 📚

    ReplyDelete
  5. What counts as patina and what counts as wear? For example I have seen a number of vintage or just secondhand filofxes in vinted and ebay with the ring depressions inside. Is this wear or patina? Would you buy with those depressions or not?

    Patina sounds good, like a kind of positive aging. Wear sounds negative as in it is a form of damage. However I see images of other leather based cover systems (like traveller nnotebooks) with marks on the cover being described as patina. To me they look like damage in the form of scuffs not patina.

    Patina which in terms of leather I think as shiny areas due to use, finger natural oils or a degree of wear but not so that it gets through the treated surface finish. Scuffs are not patina.

    What is your POV on this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that you've made some good points here as I think often it can be a fine line between patina or wear. For me, it would really depend on each individual binder & whether or not I liked how the patina/wear looked. Personally, I don't mind ring depressions & I'd only have concerns it the leather or material was cracked on these areas. I do think that sometimes it can be that lower quality leather might just show wear & ends up looking scruffy, whereas potentially higher quality might still look good & it just gives some character.

      Delete