It's Planner Shopping Season
Every September we start to see the new planner releases come out for the upcoming year. This is our time! It's exciting and we start buzzing about what we are going to use next year. Those of us who have been perfectly happy with our planners all year start, well, planning.
Not switching, obviously. Just looking. Just seeing what's out there.
Planner theory says that very quickly this can turn into watching release videos late at night, comparing paper types like we’re writing a doctoral thesis, and developing deeply personal opinions about planner covers we absolutely do not need.
Every year I say the same thing, “I’m definitely staying in my current system next year and this time I am not buying a zillion different refills, binders, sizes, brands. I'm just NOT.”
Then approximately 48 hours later, “Well… I mean, I’ll at least look at the new binder colors.”
There’s just something about planner release season that makes us all giddily believe we are on the verge of becoming dramatically more organized people. It feels hopeful somehow. This will be the year!
Meanwhile, my 2026 planner contains crossed-out tasks, messy grocery lists, random notes, and at least one entry that says “make dentist appointment” over and over for several weeks.
I also think planner shopping season causes temporary memory loss. I completely forget every lesson that I learned the previous year and start reconsidering planners that already know won't work for me.
Maybe this FC Monarch will suddenly feel more portable.
Maybe my handwriting will magically become small and neat and look great in this cute Pocket size.
Maybe I can resist getting every size Hobonichi when I never end up using them for very long.
Yeah, maybe.
So, has planner shopping season started for you yet? What are you getting for next year?
Do you ever repeatedly convince yourself something might work this time despite available historical evidence to the contrary?
As always on Fridays, feel free to discuss anything ring planner related. Have a great weekend shoppers!
Yes, it can all be so tempting :D I'm going to keep using my VDS personal next year, I just need to get inserts, or make them, as I mostly do. But...there is an A5 Filofax Marlow waiting for me to pick it up at the post office... I could not pass on it, it is so rare to see older Filofax binders for sale where I live. If it's in good shape, I hope to use it for work projects in the coming year. It comes with inserts, excited to see what they're like and maybe order some new ones too... I've only ever had personal size binders.
ReplyDelete-Jenny
(long time reader, first time commenting)
Well this afternoon, I have archived the first eight months of this years inserts, heh me....
ReplyDeleteBut I've also just printed my inserts for 2027 on 80gsm paper.... 2 days to a page, thank you for asking.
Then the long job of cutting and punching, rounding the corners. But I completed the task much quicker this year compared to last year. The task can me measured in hours rather than days!
With another 12 months of inserts inserted in to my organiser (30mm VDS) it's a bit chunky.
I've tweaked the design of the insert that I used this last year, but not massively. Cutting the pages accurately has been the same issue that I had this time last year. I'm tempted to do another print of the file and take the printed pages to a printers or similar that can cut the 50+ sheets on a large paper cutter which will give me a more consistent result.
My 2027 refill planner are ready !!! Tomoe river paper empty, customized by myself, one day in a page, personal rings size for my " personal life" and A5 size for my office desk.
ReplyDeleteThis is a continuation of my Planner Reset to assess what will I need. I only need refills, but I canceled my 2027 Plotter and Jet Pen orders. I just may regret these actions, but I’m going to shop my own stash. The difficulty of needing two, possibly three, planner sizes is too much.
ReplyDeleteMy dilemma: handwriting. It shows that I need to use an A5. I’ve been using narrow and personal paper size since 1983/86. I’m not interested in new lovely binders. Sure FF is catching up to the industry binders predecessors of the early 1990s. 🎉Welcome to the party.🎊 Let’s see how this experiment works out. -Jessie, Pittsburgh (PA)
💯 to this essay.
ReplyDeleteI just purchased 2 different weekly styled layouts simply because I was curious if they would work better than my current Wo2P.
They don’t.
So at least I know to stick with my current working layout that has all of the sections I need on 2 pages. And in those instances when I need more “thinking” space on my A6 page, I have a tri-folded regular notebook paper sheet behind a divider named “sandbox.” Win win.
This year I’m a bit excited. I purchased a vintage Mulberry Agenda. I am going to try it as my main planner next year. I’ve never tried A6 before. I am an A5 planner usually and pocket. I was happy to place my order for monthly, weekly and daily inserts from Sterling ink - lovely gilded edged paper. How keen was I? We were touring Austria and at the moment of launch day release we were driving over Grossglockner - Austria’s highest alpine road. Yes, I placed my order amongst a few hairpin turns! It’s going to be a great year!
ReplyDeleteMay Paper Co inserts (only month on 2 pages for 2027 as that’s worked really well for me this year) ordered and received. Waiting on a new to me personal compact Calipso in red. This is the earliest that I’ve got my next year planner organised! I usually enjoy setting up on NYE!
ReplyDelete