02 May 2013

Philofaxy New York City Meet Up

I’d like to announce information (thus far) for the next New York City meet up.  This will be our 5th meet up in the Big Apple (you can read more about the previous meet ups here, here, here, here, and here).

Date: June 15

I say “information thus far” because a while back I had requested feedback on places to shop and/or eat.  While two people responded, I’m still without a definite plan.  However, I do have some ideas. Currently, I don’t have a time for the meet up.  I would like to see where people are travelling from and decide then.  In the past, we’ve met at 1 pm, which gave enough time for people to travel from places as far away as Boston (a 4 or 5 hour train ride).  Most likely, I will again aim for that time-frame. At most meet ups, we have met at Sam Flax on Third Avenue

While the Filofax area there is small in regards to space, they have the biggest selection of Filofax products I have seen in NYC.  Plus, being an art store, they have a ton of other merchandise relative to office supplies and stationery.  This is still an option.  However, if anyone has any other suggestions, I am willing to look into it.  I have been to a few other stores, but the selection is not as good as Sam Flax, however my knowledge of retailers is limited to what is listed on the Filofax website and what I’ve been able to see with my own eyes.

Thanks to a recent post by Planet Millie, I have learned that Moleskine has opened its first US store, conveniently in New York City, at Columbus Circle.  If people are interested, we could add this to our adventure.  It is a bit of a walk from the Sam Flax store, though doable.  That idea would need to be discussed more by those who will be attending. Finally, we have enjoyed a late lunch/early dinner after shopping for about an hour or so.  Most of the meet up meals have taken place at Le Pain Quotidien, a short walk from Sam Flax. 

There was a suggestion of trying something new.  I am open to this idea, but where we eat will depend on where we meet and shop since those options are more limited than restaurants. I am asking for suggestions for shops and restaurants from people who will be attending.  I will try and take everyone’s suggestions into consideration, but ultimately will decide based on majority rules or what is easiest for the group as a whole.

If you would like to reserve a spot, please email kanalt17 at gmail dot com.  In order to keep the event easily manageable, we will limit the number of spots to 10.  Once we’ve gotten a few people to respond, we can start discussing ideas on the meet up via email.

I hope plenty of people will support Susan and be able to attend this meet up, I would love to get to one myself one day... 

17 comments:

  1. I would recommend that we consider looking in at the stationery department at Kinokuniya across from Bryant Park. It's a pen/paper/sticker mecca and well worth stopping in. They have a small inventory of filofax stuff plus some filo-compatible Japanese inserts and lots of other cool stuff. I think filofaxers would be pretty floored by this store! Not terribly far but maybe too much for one day? It definitely doesn't have the selection of Sam Flax of filofax stuff. But so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi josh. We made an impromptu stop there on our first meet up. There is a ton of stuff to look at and the selection is great. I perosnally didn't find too much in the way of Filofax compatible items, but in general, a ton of stationery supplies, and very much worth the visit. I will put it on the list as a possibility. Thanks!

      The other option too is to meet for lunch first and then hit whatever stores anyone would like to go to. That way, people can decide how long/where they'd like to shop. Just another idea.

      Delete
    2. I agree, not too much in the way of filofax compatible items. But everyone who does not yet own a coleto multi pen can buy one there...

      Delete
    3. Does this mean I could stock up on refills for my coleto? Hmmm...

      Delete
  2. Steve, if you ever visit New York, just let me know when and I'll make sure there's a meet up!

    And one day (someday), I'll make it to London...

    ReplyDelete
  3. you guys should go to the muji store or the japanese stationary store in NYC too..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muji is just The Best place for standard (viz. non-Filofax) stationery - I'm often tempted to throw out the entire contents of my office and replace them with Muji products. Not only do they look great but they WORK, even the calculators (and as an accountant I care a lot about calculators). Recommended. Not cheap, but you won't find better.

      Delete
    2. I have added Muji to the list of possibilities too. I have also been there, but it's been a while, so I don't exactly recall what the selection is like. Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  4. Oh man, I wish I could make this one - the first meet up was amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we should wait and see where we want to go before deciding on lunch. There are more restaurants in Manhattan than you could ever imagine, so picking one will not be a problem - even for a big group with various cuisine preferences. As for a place to go, why don't we branch into "organizing," and make a stop at the Container Store? It's only a block from Sam Flax, and I know I always have a great time in there, just looking around!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am new to the Filofax world and this sounds like a fun time! I live in NH but would travel to NY for this. Please keep me in the loop with information. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you think you might join in, you can email me (kanalt17 at gmail dot com). There is someone else from the community in NH and she and I have a mini meet up planned for the summer. So if you think you might be interested in that, email for that too. I will be on vacation in the area at the time, so I won't be too flexible with dates and times, but we can give it a go!

      Delete
    2. For crying out loud - Blogger ate my original response. ;)

      If you think you might like to join the NYC meet up, you can email me since we're starting to discuss options.

      There is another member of the community who lives in NH. She and I are planning a mini meet up during the summer while I'm in the area on vacation. Since I will be with family, I won't be flexible as far as dates go, but I can fill you in on the details if you're interested in that instead.

      Delete
    3. They are held for moderation! Both approved!
      Steve

      Delete
    4. Bah! Sorry Steve. I didn't realize the change. I was able to comment this morning without approval, so I missed the change. Thanks!

      Delete
    5. Only comments on old posts are held for moderation!

      Delete