16 August 2018

Free For All Friday No 509 by Laurie

I use a week on two pages inserts with timed daily columns in my A5 Filofax. This allows me to see all the time slots in my week so I can see when I can fit in everything I need to do. But during busy days, the daily columns aren't large enough to show as much detail as I need. Sometimes I need to see my day close up with my must-do tasks alongside my schedule.

In years past I used a separate A5 notebook to plan each day in so much detail, but I never liked carrying a notebook along with my Filofax. And I don't like planning in daily pages in my Filofax because I need the overview of my entire week all in one view. This week I came up with a solution.

I started using daily pages during especially busy days. I started by just using a lined page and writing in the timed schedule down the left of the page and my tasks to the right.

Soon I decided I wanted a little more structure so I designed a simple daily page with a timed schedule 7:30 am to 9 pm by the half hour, space to the right of the page for my tasks, a place on the page to fill in the weather, and space at the top of the page to write important things.

I made the back side of the page lined for notes and/ or journaling.

Right now I'm only using these daily pages when I need to. I'm finding it very useful to be able to see this much daily detail when I need to without having to rely on a separate book. When I need a daily page, I just print one out and use it.

Have you tweaked your system recently?

And as always on Fridays, feel free to ask and/ or discuss anything ring binder organizer related!

6 comments:

  1. Yep, I've tweaked my system. I use weekly appointments on the left hand side of my A5 and weekly tasks Mon-Sun, in work and home task columns on the right hand side. Then I put today's page on top of the week's tasks and write in what needs doing today, having looked at the weekly task and appointment pages for reference. My home made today page has time slots on the left, 3 MITS must get done today no matter what on the right, with bonus tasks. At the top I have a small BLD meals box and TV/radio box and at the bottom repeating daily tasks, a bit like an overview tracker, ie 5 a day, water, meds, vits, housework, etc, but I don't stress if these don't get done, as I am tracking repetitive stuff only for today, though I do try to get the meds, vits and water done, as these are important, housework can dilly dally occassionally. The dailies get tossed out every day and a new one placed in on top of the weekly task page. Helps me to focus in just on today, but know that I have the week ahead covered too. The week tasks and appointments I write in pencil but the dailies use colour coded gel pens and I allow myself the occassional small sticker appropriate to the day, so for example I'll use a heart for Valentine's Day, flowers for Mum's Remembrance Day, a cartoon chef for special meals to cook and I have a daily quote box so the daily page is a little more creative without going mad about it, so still looks professional but with a weeny bit of colour to cheer my day along. Hope this makes sense!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this! I'm not normally artistic but I'm also looking for some ways to add some color to my daily pages. I might have to steal your idea of having reminders of things I do daily pre-printed on my days. So satisfying to check them off!

      Delete
    2. I use A5 vertical WO2P inserts as well! When I was in a personal size planner, I used horizontal WO2P with a daily page that sat in-between the week for each day. As of right now, I don't have a separate insert I use if the day gets crazy. I will add a B6 size piece of paper for more detail if I need to, but that isn't often.

      Delete
  2. Lori, the pre-printed repetitive tasks saves me a lot of time and angst, so steal the idea away, as I'm probably not unique in designing this concept for myself!!I don't want to speak too soon, but think I have found that elusive planner peace at long last!!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the moment I am in an A5 domino for work and a personal lockwood for my personal life. However I am recently hankering after an A4 for work instead of the A5. As an academic I'm drawn to the possibility of keeping all my lecture notes, reading I want to do etc in it along with my schedule as I move around the new campus I've just moved to. I love the look of the A4 Finsbury but also drawn to the navy Metropol in A4. Someone talk me down from this purchase!! Would I be wise or not to do this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welshygirl, I've got an A4 for teaching. I just put in this week's plans and notes so I don't have to lug home great big A4 files jammed with paperwork!! I decant forwards and back depending on what I intend to do that evening at home. Much more likely to get done too on a smaller scale!! I've got a non leather Filofax A4 in black, but a Finsbury would have been sturdier I think. My planner is ok, but has not worn as well as a leather one might, a few superficial dents!!It was just such a bargain though in TK Maxx one Christmas a few years back, just(£3) reduced right on down, that I thought that may be a solution to the great back breaking paper files lug around!!! I've got a wheelie briefcase too BTW. I'd say go for it. xx

    ReplyDelete