15 June 2020

The Morning Routine

I'm sure I'm not the only person that runs on 'auto-pilot' first thing in the morning when you wake up. The number of actions we go through in our early morning routine is quite complex if you sit down and study all the things you do.

Do you always do things in the same order? Or do you try to vary your routine, what do you do to ensure you don't forget to do something?

Something prompted me to think about my own morning routine the other week and I found that I wasn't doing things as efficiently as I could. I'm still doing the same things in the morning, nothing more or nothing less. I've just reordered them, it has speeded things up a little because I'm not walking between different parts of our house so much wearing out the carpet!

I'm now looking at my planner earlier in my morning routine, this helps me focus on the things to do that day and in the next few days if there are any things I need to buy or order. I use my time in the bathroom as thinking time whilst I'm having a shave or in the shower.

I now try to avoid digital devices until after breakfast is done and my 'work' day gets started. I've started reading a magazine article over coffee. A paper magazine that is, not a digital one!

I'm capturing things in my journal during the day rather than the following day, my poor memory will often overlook things if I leave it until the following day.

How do you start your day?

1 comment:

  1. Steve,
    Interesting and timely as creatures of habit we do need, as you have done, to stop, look and consider our routines that may be the way they are for no reason other than that's the way we have always done it. A positive change in routine as you mention can be very good for us, Charles O'S

    ReplyDelete