07 March 2022

Reader Under The Spotlight - Neil

Today, I would like to introduce you to Neil. 

Neil is certainly a long term Filofax user as you will see. 

Neil invented the term 'Flatability' It's a perfect phrase that you will immediately understand when you have seen Neil explain it on his You Tube videos. 

Neil also has a Patreon page to help him support his interest to review as many different organisers as possible. He has recently also created a Facebook group for people interested in reviews of older Filofax models. 

Q1. When did you buy your first organiser and what was it?

A1. I bought a Filofax Sherwood, in 1993, and I still use it every day.

Q2. Out of the organisers you own which is your current favourite (Style and Size)?

A2. Hmm. It's a close run thing, between two models. My current favourite model, when out and about, is the Guildford Mini Extra Slim. So long as you can accept that the internal leather will crack along the spine, it's almost perfect. Alas, it's as rare as hens' teeth. But overall, and it's a really tough choice, I have to say that my 1993, English made "Sherwood" is my overall favourite. Extraordinary quality, and perfect flatability from the very first day of ownership.

Q3. How many Filofax or other brands of organisers do you own?

A3. I have around fifty binders, mainly filofaxes, but I collect other brands too. Whenever I begin to think I own too many, I reassure myself that I'm simply a custodian for future generations.

Q4. What do you use your organisers for?

A4. That's a tricky one, because I only use a few, as working tools, to hold diaries, "to do" lists, and for reference. Most of my binders are used to store paper, and photos. Some models have only been acquired so that I can review them before returning them to the on-line market.

Q5. How many sections do you have in your organiser and what is each section used for?

A5. I tend not to use "sections". One binder, for instance, contains my "day to a page" diary, and there isn't room for anything else. I prefer to just have a number of binders on my desk, with each one allocated for a specific use. A big advantage is that you can have more than one binder open at the right page, without having to constantly switch between the sections, of a single binder. It's the analogue equivalent of having several windows open on your desktop PC.

Q6. If you could design your own Filofax what would it feature?

A6. As someone who predominantly uses filofaxes indoors these days, I'd like to be able to buy basic cardboard binders, with no pockets, that were available from Filofax until the eighties. Imagine an A6 Moleskine, but with rings. I know you can buy these from other manufacturers, but I'd quite like to be able to buy them from Filofax too. I'd also like to see Filofax return to offering unfilled binders. As a regular buyer of used filofaxes, I often come across inserts (or dividers) that haven't been used; and, purely from an environmental perspective, it might be better for customers to select what they want. If anyone from Letts gets to read this, I do hope they have a "lightbulb moment", realise that there's added value in a "custom fill" and start offering that. If buyer of a new car can specify all manner of custom colours and features, which are then fitted as it moves along the production assembly line, it must surely be possible to provide a filofax with a custom fill.

Q7. What's your favourite Filofax tip or hack?

A7. Take a stiff brush to a "Guildford" model, and watch in amazement as all that flaky leather floats away in a bowl of soapy water, leaving a rather attractive man-made woven substrate underneath. 
But please, do this at your own risk. The leather in your Guildford may be different to mine.

Q8. Have you ever attended a Philofaxy meet-up? if not do you intend to one day?

A8. Not yet, and yes.

Q9. What was the last movie you watched?

A9. I suppose I should really watch that filofax movie, with James Belushi and Charles Grodin, but I haven't got around to it yet. For possibly the 40th time over the last 40 years, I watched the original "Bladerunner" movie a few days ago. Iconic, spellbinding, what more can I say?

Q10. What was the last book you read?

A10. "Order, Order. The rise and fall of political drinking", by Ben Wright. A bit of an oddball book that I purchased during "party gate", but one that sheds light on the eye-poppingly prodigeous drinking exploits of our noble politicians.

Links:

Thank you Neil

As you know we are always looking for new people to appear in our 'Reader Under Spotlight feature.

You don't have to be 'well known' or a long term user to be considered to appear in this 'spot'.

Please contact Steve philofaxy at gmail dot com


5 comments:

  1. LoveNeil's outlook on owning Filofaxes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Neil!
    And yes, I also love the idea of us all being custodians.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I really like the "multiple open windows" concept. 😀 Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I really like the "multiple open windows" concept. 😀 Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete