06 May 2024

Getting Personal with the Norfolk by Eve

Filofax released the Norfolk Collection back in November of 2022 with the largest rings yet in any modern Filofax organizer, so as a busy professional with a lot on my plate, I was very excited to give this organizer a try. 

The initial release consisted of four colors: Almond, Sage, Lavender, and Taupe: 

Almond
Almond
  
Sage
Sage
  
Lavender
Lavender
  
Taupe
Taupe

Then in April of 2023 Currant and Espresso were added to the collection:

Currant
Currant
  
Espresso
Espresso

By now there are several reviews online about Norfolk organizers. Steve did a nice, comprehensive review when they were first released with all the specs, which you can read here.

Norfolk caught my attention in 2023 because I was both working and going to school, so I wanted something with larger rings. It didn’t take me long to collect all the colors in Personal size. I didn’t set out to do that, but you know how it goes!  


The entire collection is so pretty!


I started with Almond and Espresso (those of you who know me know I’m a brown and tan girl all the way) but the Sage was so pretty that I had to add it…and then the Currant for the holiday season…Lavender for spring…and Taupe because at that point I couldn’t have all but one of the colors.

Happily, my obsession with the Norfolk Personal has become justified, as for the past year it has been my everyday driver, and I have only become more impressed with its quality and features. I keep my set-up the same and change organizer colors depending on mood, weather, season or just on a whim.

What I love most about the Norfolk Personal, aside from the roomy 30mm rings that can hold my chaotic work, school and personal life with ease, is the full grain leather construction and the overall simple aesthetic. I really enjoy the big back pocket (I know the topic of a big back pocket is a controversial one within the planning community). I find it super handy for storing letter-sized documents folded in half.


Big back pocket
Big back pocket

I also really like the functionality of the interior pocket layout.


Left side - zip pocket and vertical slip pocket

Right side - 6 card slots, vertical slip pocket, pen loop

The hand feel is structured yet soft, and there is just something about the way the edges are finished that look so clean and professional to me. Don't let the big back pocket fool you -  it has great flatability and the more I have used it, the more it has broken in to the point that it is now squishy and wonderful!

Flatability
Flatability

 

I am not easy on my planners; to me they are productivity tools. I toss them into my bag willy nilly and I’m not particular about where I put them down. I appreciate how my particular use case causes my planners to wear, patina, and become truly unique. That being said, my Norfolks looks as good today as they did the day I opened the boxes, even the lighter colors.


Today I'm in the Almond...

Another favorite feature is the fully elasticized pen loop located higher up on the back cover. I tend to use fat multi-pens or fountain pens, which generally don’t fit well in most pen loops, but with the elastic loop placed higher up, I can just slip the clip of any pen I want to use in the loop, and it is held snugly when the organizer is closed.


Elastic pen loop handling my multi-pen like a champ

The zip pocket on the inside front is great too. Unlike the Finsbury (not talking trash, just saying) the Norfolk’s zip pocket is roomy and quite useable. It is not a gusseted pocket, but it does open comfortably and is easy to get things in and out of. Pro Tip: I keep an Apple Air Tag in there so that I never leave my planner behind.

This year I’ve found my planner peace withFilofax One Day on Two Pages insertsand with the 30mm rings I can keep my preferred system of three months of inserts in my organizer (previous month, current month, next month) as well as a full year of Month on Two Pages, some project tabs (the Norfolk Personal Dividers compliment all of the organizer colors nicely, and I love that they are plastic rather than card stock, making them super durable) as well as a full set of A-Z tabs, which I use as a portable “filing cabinet”.  It’s a joy to be able to fit everything I need in my EDC planner and not worry about over-stuffing the rings or being able to snap it closed.

Norfolk Collection tabs

My life all in one place!

I’m not a sticker person, but the Norfolk collection also includes functional stickers and also sticky notes for fans of the matchy-matchy.

Is anyone else using a Norfolk organizer? Which size and color are you using? What do you like best about this collection?

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for this great review, Eve! I have an yet unused Norfolk espresso at home that is waiting for me. Due to the larger ring size, turning pages feels a little different... But you encouraged me to give it another try :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. I'll have to put the Norfolk on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, I'm know think of getting a Norfolk to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wish they made a mini in the Norfolk. I keep asking so you never know when pester power might just work. They look lovelt and I really love the sage but pocket is too big.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Eve! 💕

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am the happy owner of two pocket-sized Norfolks, one in Espresso and the other in Sage. Previously, I used a mini Finsbury. The pocket Norfolk is a chonkster in comparison. I wonder what a mini Norfolk would be like?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks nice with 35mm rings in A5 I'll not have to keep putting it on a diet like my finsbury a5. Only one issue for me, the pockets are the wrong way around.

    Hear me out, if you keep anything in card pockets they'll stock out. When writing on paper above them you'd probably feel what's underneath. I write on pages where they're kept and that includes last page in the filofax. I think I'd feel card slots stuffed with cards, page tab post-its and other things. I believe finsbury gen 1 was similar but my gen 2 has zip pocket on the rhs. Better design imho.

    BTW I was looking for a compact A5 to carry but decided I'll use my a5 at home where n8 mostly work then maintain a personal Holborn for a cut down copy of my a5. This means a fatter a5 might be a good idea. A better file of facts potential. If only the pockets were right.

    Filofax design is so personal and often you compromise. If only they offered a fully custom option? A design your own filofax. I bet people would go for that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Paul B - Isn't that called a VDS? 😄

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Norfolk is the only modern model in my growing collection. I seek out and buy mainly older Personals. But having relocated to Norfolk, I thought I ought to own a sage green Personal. Great colour, though I fear spray-painted rather than dyed? Leather stiff, by design. I am not sure how the colours reflect Norfolk, nice as they are. Grey skies, mudflats of The Wash, the dark North Sea....not much cinnamon or raspberry here..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this review - you hit all the key functionality points that kept me looking at the Norfolk in A5 these past few years now - color got me the first year but now I’m between Lavender and Sage (wish they did my cool tone colors like blue or even black) - but those big rings are such a magnet for me as I tend to always over stuff. Thanks for taking the time to share this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for a great post, Eve! Those colours look wonderful together.

    ReplyDelete