30 May 2024

When Is the Time? by Nan


I sang in a choral concert this spring. The program title was "When Is the Time?" It got me thinking. For at least six months, I've been thinking about switching from the U.S. half-letter size that I've been using since 2020 to A5. 

I even tried it for a few weeks last year, but the experiment failed. But why? I eventually figured out that I had gone into the switch unprepared. I didn't have my preferred diary format or all of the supplies I needed. Whereas, in half-letter, I had everything I needed at my fingertips, and I was used to using it. No wonder I couldn't make a go of A5. 

But why was a Filofax fan using half-letter (Franklin Planner, specifically) in the first place? After all, I had been using A5 almost exclusively since 2005. Well, during the 2020 shutdown, I was laid off from my job. To help rebuild my career, I started taking some classes. And then I was introduced to the wonderful world of American paper supplies. All of my class materials were letter-size, and half-letter organizing materials abounded. In A5, my options were limited because that paper size was hard to come by in my home country. So switching to half-letter was the obvious choice, and it went swimmingly. Sort of. 


I was unhappy with the bulk and weight of American organizers and the quality of the paper. I longed for the sleekness of European and Japanese organizers and the smooth, high-quality paper. Unfortunately, the only way to get smooth writing paper without ink bleed-through is to buy thicker paper, which I was getting more and more frustrated with.  

Fast-forward to 2024. Amazon now ships all kinds of A5 planners, paper, notebooks, and binders all over the U.S. I'm running out of excuses to stay in my half-letter comfort zone. 

And that brings me to the last hymn we sang that day: "Now Is the Time." 

I plan to start using an A5 organizer on June 1 of this year. As I prepare and then use my new diary pages, forms, and tabs, I'll keep you updated on how it's going!



2 comments:

  1. Ooooooh! I can't wait to read more about your journey switching to A5!!
    ~Yvonne Martin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I eagerly await hearing about your switchover, and wish you luck!

    I've been using half-letter in my A5 for four years and would never change. I print my annual diaries using the wonderful template available on this site, and I only had to tweak it a little (and only once). The ability to be able to punch and toss in handouts from meetings and conferences, and use regular copy paper for everything, is too cheap & easy a bonus to give up. (Full disclosure: I write with a Sarasa .3, so bleed-through/show-through is not an issue for me.)

    Also, I'm one of those "hate writing around the rings" people. I don't put a sheet into the rings until it's full, so another plus is that the extra width enables me to keep blank sheets in a plastic folder at the back without having to worry about it smacking up against the pen loop.

    ReplyDelete