05 April 2015
Reader Under The Spotlight - Rachel
Hello fellow Faxers - my name is Rachel. I'm 33, living with my Husband and cat in Southern California. I work as a digital advertising sales planner - so planning and staying organized is essential! I have always been a huge fan of office supplies - I used to make pads of paper out of scraps all the time. My favorite part of school was getting a new notebook and pens every September. I'm so excited to have found such a great group of people with similar passions!
1. When did you buy your first organiser and what was it?
My very first first organizer was a personal size, burgundy Dayrunner with a velcro closure. I was in middle school and I was (and still am) obsessed with office supplies. I never had anything to write in it though being so young.
My sister had a larger, brown leather planner that zipped all the way around. When she was done with it, I was excited to take it over. But again, I was still too young to have anything important in it. Eventually I gave them both up.
Then in 2013 I started following the various groups on Facebook and my obsession was again sparked. I bought a personal Domino, and then received an A5 Yellow Original for the holidays.
2. What other brands have you used or considered using?
I love the Kate Spade planners and have considered building my own Arc system or using an Erin Condren. I recently sold a Kikki K that was just too large and thought it should go to someone who would use and love her properly.
3. Out of the organisers you own which is your current favourite (Style and Size)?
I love my A5 Original so I use that for more "home/family" information. But on a daily basis I've fallen for the Kate Spade Wellesley Zip (personal size). I use it as a wallet and planner - it just works perfect for me!
4. How many Filofax or other brands of organisers do you own?
18 total - 14 Filofax including one Clipbook and 4 Kate Spade
5. What is the oldest organiser in your collection?
Personal Black Domino
6. What do you use your organisers for?
Most of my organizers sit on a shelf as a collection. I use my A5 Original for family/house use and Kate Spade Wellesley for everyday.
7. How many sections do you have in your organiser and what is each section used for?
In my A5 Original I have Monthly, Weekly, Finance, File section (A-Z) and Notes
Kate Spade I have Monthly, Weekly, and Notes - soon to add "baby" section!!
8. What was the feature about Filofax you like most?
I love the leather on the Originals but in general the ring bound planners allow for so much customization and imagination! I love to make dashboards, dividers and my own inserts.
9. If you could design your own Filofax what would it feature?
I really like the vertical pockets on the Kate Spade - so I would definitely include those. Stronger ring mechanisms for sure, and a zip pocket either on the inside or outside for loose coins.
10. How do you carry your Filofax?
With my hands! Just kidding - In my purse or just in my hands.
11. Which Filofax in the current range do you like the most? Are you going to buy it?
I like the Holborn Zip in personal or the Domino Patent in personal (blue) - probably not - We need to save money so I'm just keeping it on my wish list.
12. What is the most you have ever spent on a Filofax or other brand of organiser? Which model?
$180 on a Kate Spade Zip (wish is actually going to be my birthday present), and $165 on A5 Ochre Malden
13. What's your favourite Filofax tip or hack?
That's a great question - there are SO many great tips and hacks. One of my favorites is using the Avery pockets. I stick them onto my laminated dividers and keep stamps and stickers in them. The other is from Alexis Giostra (Strange & Charmed) - her removable folders - love them - and laminated note pages so they can be reused.
14. Turning to Philofaxy, what do you like the most?
I like the camaraderie of the group as a whole, Web Finds and the Spotlight section. Also keeping up with what's new in the Filofax world.
15. And what do you not like about Philofaxy?
My Husband is a web developer so sometimes I get stuck on the look of the site. Content is great, but if are ever interested in a more modern look, let me know!
16. What was the last music track you downloaded or bought?
Shut Up and Dance by Walk the Moon - it's a little bit 80s nostalgia for me and just so much fun!
17. Have you ever attended a Philofaxy meet-up? if not do you intend to one day?
Not Philofaxy specifc meet up, but I did go to a meet up last year at a local bookstore!
18. What was the last movie you watched?
That's a good question... I have no idea. We watch a lot of Netflix.
19. What was the last book you read?
Hollow City: The Second Novel of Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Just found out they are making the first book into a movie - wish they would keep some books to the imagination.
Thank you Rachel.
As you know we are constantly looking for new people to appear in our 'Reader Under Spotlight feature, you don't have to be 'well known' or a long term user to be considered to appear in this 'spot'.
So please contact Steve philofaxy at gmail dot com today. Thank you.