18 February 2019

Planning Travels In Your Organiser

This coming weekend starts off one of many journeys I will be doing this year. It's quite a busy year in several ways.

So I always like to use my organiser to prepare for these trips and to make sure I have all the information I need on the journey and to make sure I have packed everything, even forgetting the smallest of things can create a bit of a headache like leaving a charging cable behind or forgetting to pack a tie or similar.

Over the years I have created/developed several inserts to ease the pain of travel planning. I have evolved these over time to meet my needs.

I keep my plans in my Filofax travel wallet that I use for long distance trips.

So what inserts are there that can help you in planning your trip?

I like to have the details of the different parts of the journey on paper, using this insert. Yes, it is quite detailed, but I learnt from our trip to the USA in 2015 that I needed all the various bits of information I have included because the different airlines had different restrictions!

However, you can of course customise the insert as you wish.


Personal sized insert:  Travel Planning .docx .pdf

I use this packing list form for short weekend trips when it tends to be just me. On the reverse side I have included a 'Things to do before leaving' area. I've customised my own version of this with all my usual things I take on trips, you can do the same of course.


A5 size: Weekend Travel Packing List - .docx .pdf
Personal size: Weekend Travel Packing List.docx
A6 size: Weekend Packing Lists  .docx .pdf

Here is my own personalised version, I leave the blank spaces for specific things to be added for a particular trip.



If you are going away on a much longer trip with your family. You might find this insert of interest, it is similar to one that used to be available from Filofax back in the 1980's in Personal size. I found it far too detailed, but it is quite easy to remove the things you will never take and get the list down to a single sided page.



A4/A5 size: Travellers Check List (A4) - .doc .pdf

If you are doing any long distance travelling I find having a Time Zone map handy, I nearly got caught out a few years ago by my electronic calendar adjusting the time of a flight!

Time Zone Map
Printing the above:
  • A5 Print on A4 size paper then fold in half and fold back to the edge (Z fold)
  • A6 Print on A5 size paper then fold in half and fold back to the edge (Z fold)
  • Personal Print on A4 size paper cut to 171 mm high then fold in half and fold back to the edge (Z fold)
  • Pocket Print on A4 size paper cut to 120 mm high then fold in half and fold back to the edge (Z fold)
You might also like to listen again to Episode 6 of The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Plannerverse which was dedicated to Travelling with your planner.

Happy and safe travelling this summer....

Creative Commons License

This work by Philofaxy is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. Please download, adapt, use, share, but do not charge or use commercially.

2 comments:

  1. I find these lists really useful and have developed several in my organisers, for different activities and holidays eg:
    Day walking rucksack
    Overnight walking rucksack
    Wild camping/ regular camping/ bothy stays
    Cycle touring - panniers
    Skiing/ winter sports holiday
    Summer holiday packing
    Aircraft carry-on bag
    Aircraft hold bag

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too find an organiser great for travelling. In my case it's a Filofax Malden Zip design, pocket size. Has an external pocket that is just right for a passport & boarding pass.
    I have inserts for packing lists (done in MS Word as a mail merge with a spreadsheet list of items to pack so is very easy to customise for different destinations), expenses, itinerary. I use the Raymay/Davinci Tomoe River paper stock which is thin so not too bulky even with a lot of pages.
    Dave.

    ReplyDelete