20 July 2020

Planner or organiser? - by Anita

Whilst reading some posts the other day in the Facebook group, I noticed that different people will refer to their Filofax as an organiser, planner or Filofax. Thinking back to some of my posts here, I have also called mine a binder as it's really just a cover, so that you can keep whatever contents that you require. I had a little look on some company websites and think it's interesting that they also use different names too:
  • Filofax - organiser
  • Van der Spek - ring organizer
  • Gillio - planners and covers
  • Moterm - rings notebook.
When I think of the word 'planner', I suppose it makes me think more about planning events etc., so I suppose I consider mine more of an organiser, if I had to choose between the two.

On Filofax's About page, they have this information - 'In 1921, a London based company was formed to market personal organisation systems in the UK by mail order. In 1930 they registered the trademark "Filofax", the name having derived from the description "file of facts".
I really like that the brand name derives from 'file of facts' as in some ways, this is an excellent description for my A to Z section as it houses reference information, renewal dates, notes from books etc.

Over time, I suppose that I've started to turn my Kensington into a 'one-stop shop' as it's a portable reference file and notebook. Once upon a time, I barely used the pockets, but I've found that it's a handy place to not only store items that I use in my binder (Hobonichi stencil or clips), but also small items that I use in daily life (more recently a hair tie and grips, as due to lockdown, I last had a haircut back in February!). 

Another term that I've seen used is 'external brain', which I think is my preferred name right now.
Back in 2009, I initially purchased a Filofax to house my Getting Things Done set up, and also because I was fed up with having random notes in different notebooks and on scraps of paper. At the end of the day, I don't think that it really matters what you call your Filofax/organiser/planner, but more about how it helps you feel more in control, especially in these uncertain times. I certainly couldn't imagine being without mine. It helps me plan projects, capture ideas, take notes, track my to-dos and keep important reference information in a handy hard wearing cover that's a great size to carry in my hand or bag.

Which term do you prefer? 

13 comments:

  1. Richard Koch’s book “The Star Principle” discusses the usefulness in marketing of having a generic term to describe the category of product into which your target market niche falls, which is distinct from your brand name.
    “In 1986 David Collischon [the owner of Filofax] wisely coined the term ‘personal organiser’ to describe the category and encouraged everyone to use the term.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question!

    My preference is Organiser, with an s because I'm British, as that's the term we were using back in the eighties when I acquired my first Filofax. It does, of course, refer to what we're doing with it, as do the more specific terms Planner and Notebook, so that term may not suit everybody, but I think they're designed as flexible organisers rather than just to hold notes or hold diary pages. It is a binder/cover, but that puts it on a par with the plastic and cardboard archive files I store bank statements and tax returns in, and they're not really in the same league. The term planner is relatively new to me, and I don't like it because it seems to have become owned by the decoration/glitter/Washi tape crowd. Which is fine if that's your thing, but it does tend to exclude those of us who use the organiser more functionally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me a Filofax is so much more than just a planner, it contains other information as well, so I've always favoured personal organiser, with the traditional English spelling as well!!

    There are also the editorial guidelines from Filofax that I've always tried to adhere to, worth a read:

    https://philofaxy.com/files/Editorial_Brand_Guidelines.pdf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not spotted those before - thanks Steve.
      I notice that their approved, example text “...everyone loves their Filofax...” also violates another of their rules stating that “the Filofax brand name must always be used as an adjective and not as a noun“!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To folks who are not planner nerds, I use the term Filofax, even though I use VDS at the moment, as to me everyone understands that as a generic term. For example, I use the word Hoover for vacuum cleaner, even if I am using another model. Whether that is the correct thing to do in reality, in purist terms though,is a matter of debate.I tend to use the term binder at the moment, as my VDS doesn't just hold plans, but also information that is oft used. I like the term personal organizer, it has a lot going for it, but to me one snappy word to cover all bases is for me best of all. And finally, I do so wish Filofax would bring out an A6 size,especially in the croco range!!! I can but dream, eh!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I prefer the term personal organiser (Aussie using British spelling 🤣🤣🤣) or File of Facts! Although sometimes what is written may or may not truly be a fact, and instead may consist of a certain amount of artistic licence!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use "organiser" for Filofax, VDS, etc. I use "planner" if I'm referring to coil bound planners.

    @gmax, thank you for sharing that bit about branding and term. It is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rita - yes that book does provide some good insights, even though the tone can come across as rather conceited.

      Delete
  8. The two long-time US ring brands in the use planner (FranklinCovey and Day-Timer). I am unclear if that term predates them, or it has been co-opted for use of all types - ring, bound, spiral, etc.

    And that has led to the widespread use of the term world wide in the marketing of accessories - binders, covers, pages, stickers, stamps, etc.

    I know that Palm Pilots billed themselves as organizers, with the Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interestingly Robert Koch also quotes from a book by Al & Laura Ries called “The Origin of Brands”, which suggests that Palm Computer shouldn’t have used Palm as a brand name because, by analogy to the laptop computer, the most appropriate generic category name would have been palm computer!

      Delete
  9. Just filofax, irrespective of whether it's a Gillio or anything else is how I refer to it.
    As far as what I keep in them can span from shopping vouchers, passport, car certificates, insurance info to holiday receipts and club membership details. Spanning across three "binders" I mean filofax'es but not necessarily filofax🤣.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use the term organiser (spelled with an S since I live in Ireland) which is generally a Filofax. My planner is my personal management system consisting of my work schedule, social engagements (although these have been replaced with Zoom meetings), appointments, family obligations and tasks. Generally, my planner can either go into my Filofax or notebook.

    ReplyDelete