13 July 2020

Time to reorganise the contents of your organiser?

Is it time to reorganise your Filofax?

Give yourself an hour or so to sit down at your desk or table.

Remove all the pages from your personal organiser. Separate the pages in to the different sections you already have.


Now go through each section and decide on the contents as follows:
  • Keep: Pages you continue to need every day that are not available elsewhere; 
  • Archive: Pages that can now be archived; 
  • Transfer: Pages that contain information you want to say transfer to your home organiser and that you do not need to carry with you all the time. 
  • Update: Pages that you need to update, refresh. 
In my case I was able to archive the first 6 months of the year diary pages. I discovered I had two year planners! I also transferred out my UK maps which I don't need here in France. I'm also considering dropping the need to carry a full set of names and addresses with me all the time, I would prefer to have that information at home and may be a smaller number of pages with just names and phone numbers on them.

The end result is that I've slimmed down the number of pages sufficiently to be able to try out using a Compact size organiser.


I also think that having less pages will be more effective in the long term. Having more relevant information to hand will definitely mean that 'less is more' and I will spend less time looking for a particular page with information on it!

I realise over time the number of pages will gradually increase again, but at least with this system of maintenance I will be able to rationalise things easier in future.

How many months or weeks of diary inserts do you carry at any one time?

I wrote this post back in July 2014, it is still relevant today, it has had a few minor edits to tidy it up a little. 

2 comments:

  1. You've given me inspiration to sort my planner out. I have a lot of inconsequential stuff in there! Thanks Steve. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep a full year of week on one page plus notes, but it doesn’t take too much room. I should go through and discard old note pages; those do build up on me.

    ReplyDelete