24 January 2022

How Compact is Compact A5

I was asked recently about how I manage to use A5 for all of my planning requirements. Also how do I manage to carry around an A5 (when I need to) and what I use on a regular basis.

L-R Top row: Chameleon A5 , VdS Custom A5, Holborn A5 
L-R Bottom row: Chester Compact A5, William Hannah A5, Heritage Compact A5

Naturally I try to use what I already own. I had a look through the Filofax site to dig out their size information and came up with the following table it was quite surprising. 

Model Holborn
A5 Clasp 
Lockwood
 A5 Clasp  
Heritage
Compact A5 
Chester 
Compact A5
William
Hannah A5
Height 235mm 230mm 233mm 235mm 222mm
Width 185mm 195mm 185mm 178mm 168mm
Depth 35mm 40mm 28mm 25mm 35mm
Ring Size 25mm 25mm 15mm 15mm 20mm discs

I have certainly used the Holborn, Heritage and Chester in the table above. I have a Lockwood, but it is the Zip version rather than the clasp version. 

I have included the William Hannah A5 Notebook, which whilst it is a different system, it is as capable of being used as a planner as easily as a ring bound organiser. It is narrower in overall size because the disc system takes up less space in the spine of the cover. 

Out of the above selection the Holborn A5 clasp is a winner for me, with it's excellent internal layout, I get around the single pen loop by using a Lamy Multi-Pen, which has a pen and pencil insert. 

My A5 Custom Van der Spek is my most used A5, it has similar dimensions to the Filofax Lockwood listed above and it is fitted with two pen loops. 

Slightly older now, but the A5 Chameleon from about 10 years ago is another A5 organiser worth considering with 25mm rings and two pen loops, the rear inside cover has a notepad slot as well. The size is the same as the Holborn A5.

What can you fit in to 15 or 25mm rings? 

I have no difficulty fitting a full 12 months of a week on two page diary insert printed on Clairefontaine 80 gsm A5 paper. In 15mm rings I have to be a little more selective about what other pages to include, but I can carry all my essential information and some spare inserts in 15mm. 

I don't have to make this sacrifice with 25mm rings, I can fit in all of my pages with dividers etc in to that size without any difficulty. 

To carry any of these A5 organisers doesn't require a large bag, I use a small camera bag/messenger bag as my regular every day bag. It has an iPad slot in the back of the internal compartment. It will hold any of the organisers whilst still leaving me room to carry other essentials in the bag and without it getting too heavy on my shoulder. 


It helps if you review the content of your organiser on a regular basis making sure you aren't carrying around notes and pages you don't currently need, archive them if they are no longer required. 

I've focussed on the A5 size in this post, mainly because that is the size I'm more comfortable using, but the same processes can be applied to other sizes to use smaller size and thinner organisers to make your planner easier to take with you anywhere, so you always have the information and your diary to hand. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm trying A5 this year, with a Muji 6-ring binder but considering a filofax for next year, so this is great info, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My main planner is an A5 Luxe which has 20mm rings. I also have several A5 Flex to which I have added 15mm rings that I use when I want something to hold a small number of pages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the A5 Boston I used briefly - very svelte.

    How does the Gillio Mia Cara A5 insert or Malden/Penny ridge A5 insert compare to these options?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heritage A5 Compact now comes with 20mm rings unfortunately so its significantly much more bulkier. Almost as fat as Holborn A5. Wanted something slick and thin, a bit larger then my Plotter A5 which has 11mm rings. 15mm Heritage looked perfect but . . . no longer in production in 2023.

    ReplyDelete