15 December 2022

Filofax Garden zipper pouch review

Depending on the Filofax model, it can sometimes be hard to get into the zippered pockets or I've found that I'd like to securely carry money or important documents, so I hole punched a cheap plastic pencil case. Despite years of use, it's still going strong and has been very useful whilst on holiday, or for processing bits of paper or receipts. 

Plastic pencil case on a trip to Iceland
 

I rarely buy direct from Filofax, so I decided to treat myself to an upgraded version when they brought out the Garden zipper pouch


My first impressions were that I like the print and the pouch itself feels nice to the touch. The Filofax website doesn't say what material it's made of, but it feels like some sort of plastic, with a more textured pink lining inside. 

The pouch fits both personal and A5 size. I remember seeing some reviews saying that it doesn't fit A5, but due to the differences in hole configuration between personal and A5, it does work as below in my DIY A5 binder.

 

However, one thing that was immediately obvious to me was that the Filofax pouch is unsurprisingly more bulky than a basic pencil case, which is not something I considered at time of purchase. In the photos below, both are empty and you can see that the Filofax pouch takes up quite a bit more ring space.

 

The Filofax pouch is also smaller.


So, while the new pouch may be aesthetically more pleasing to the eye, unfortunately from a practical point of view my old pencil case is still the winner as:

  • It takes up very little ring space, even when full with receipts
  • It's taller and wider, so holds quite a bit more, like folded bits of A4 paper.

However, I do think that the Garden pouch would work quite well to hold spare pens etc. in a second binder, along with some spare paper, so that you have it all easily to hand. 

9 comments:

  1. I have the garden pouch with matching pen and personal sized Filofax. I too find the pouch to be bulky. I also found the Filofax in this series to be very cheaply made, and I wasn't imrpessed with it, although the print is pleasant. The pen from this series takes a standard Parker refill so I am pleased with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you that I like the print, but it is a shame that you weren't impressed with the Filofax. Great news about the pen though! Yup, I think the pouch will be too bulky for most people sadly.

      Delete
  2. Seeing as ebay sell wallets for a few quid, and often buying junk filofax they come with pockets. I'm thinking this item has missed the starting gate so to speak.
    I would not buy one because I can't see through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you as whilst the print & material are pleasant, it is more expensive & I think I also prefer being able to see the contents, like you.

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of hole punching the pencil case. I will definitely try this for my Deskfaxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't a great fan of the zipper pouches from Filofax as the zipper bit is bulky & then I saw this pencil case at the supermarket. As it's slightly wider, the zip doesn't get in the way like the Filofax ones did. Sounds great.

      Delete
    2. I have also done something similar with plastic wallets & they work well too:
      https://philofaxy.blogspot.com/2012/05/plastic-wallet-hack.html

      Delete
  4. it absolutely has to be transparent for me, even if the cost was not a factor. your pencil case I imagine was much cheaper and it looks like it was professionally made for your planner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention it, a transparent pouch if much better for me too, as it's just easy to get an idea of what's in there. Oh yes, quite a price difference... the plastic pencil case was £1.00 from our local supermarket!

      Delete