19 December 2022

Filofax Kensington - Is it a Classic?

The Filofax Kensington was sold between approximately 1999 to 2003 although it might have been available in some markets after that. 

It was sold in a wide range of sizes: Mini, Pocket. Slimline, Personal, A5 Deskfax and A4. Basically all the sizes except M2!

This is an extract from the 2000 catalogue. 


I have this model in Pocket, Personal and A5 sizes. The Pocket and Personal size are very similar in construction. Both have quite supple covers, but the A5 and I am told that the Deskfax and A4 are also similar, in that they have stiffener in the covers. As a result my A5 feels very hard and a lot firmer in the hand. 

This makes it easy to use if you are holding it and there isn't a flat surface near by to put the organiser on to write on. But it was a bit of a surprise compared to the Personal and Pocket models. 

I tend to use the A5 mostly at my desk, so I've not noticed any issues with it being stiffer compared to other A5's I own. 

The Pocket has 15mm rings, Personal 23mm rings and A5 has 30mm rings. 

I find 30mm rings in an A5 about the right size for me, although I can manage with 25mm in an A5 as well. 

My trio of Kensingtons in A5, Personal and Pocket


The inside front of the A5, with 6 card slots, a vertical slip pocket, a zip pocket and business card or 3.5" floppy disc pocket, yes one of those fits!! And a pen loop. 


No I don't normally carry a copy of my Netscape install discs! but I had to test it!


The A5 back inside cover has a vertical slip pocket and a horizontal slot to accept a writing pad. And a slightly smaller pen loop. 


The front inside cover of the Personal size has eight card slots 


The rear inside cover has a vertical zip pocket and the single pen loop.


The inside front of the Pocket size has four vertical card slots. 


The back inside cover has a vertical zip pocket and the single pen loop. 


If you are wondering about having a Kensington in your 'collection' I'm a little late to the party! We have plenty of past posts on this model:

7 comments:

  1. I use a slimline Kensington as a travel binder. I also had a standard personal size, but sold it, perhaps a bit rashly. The floppiness of the covers is the main characteristic I noted, so it’s surprising to hear the larger models are different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a kensington pocket this weekend, 10 euros in average condition but still usable...(sorry for the translate i'm french)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where did you buy it? I am looking for a Kensington pocket.

      Delete
  3. One of my favourite filofaxes. Great quality and ages with grace 😀

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you can tell from the list of posts at the end, the Kensington is still my all-time favourite model. The leather becomes wonderful with use, plus the internal layout is perfect for my needs & it also works well as a wallet.

    I briefly owned a Kensington in the A4 size & didn't know that they existed, so I'm going to have a look at the catalogues on here to see if I can find out more details. It was a super cheap & impulse eBay purchase, but was sadly quite disappointing as the leather was very hard & completely different to my beloved personal one. It was gifted to a friend who has been using it at work to help him run a busy office at an airport, but I must remember to ask him if he can take some photos...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I´m looking for a pocket Kensington if anyone´s selling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got mine via the Philofaxy Adspot page. Just put a wanted ad on there.

      Delete