20 February 2023

One planner or more than one planner/organiser?

For a few years now I have been an advocate of the thought that 'You have one life, therefore you should only have one planner'

For several years I used an A5 at my desk and carried around a Filofax Personal size, occasionally an A6 or Pocket size depending on the phase I was going through. Whatever the size though, there was duplication. A diary insert in the A5 and another in what ever I was carrying around at the time. In general it worked, but occasionally there was a hiccup when something didn't get written in to either planner. 

This practice ended with the review of the compact Filofax Heritage that opened up new possibilities for me. I was able to carry the A5 size where ever I intending to go, leaving behind some of the A5 sections at home in another larger ring A5. Just keeping the essentials in a compact A5. This has been working well for me now for more than 5 years, possibly longer. 

That said, I'm about to break my own rule again! Travel, or more precisely air travel, something I've not done in recent years. I prefer to travel in Europe by train when I can. 

Budget airlines and some of the main carriers these days are quite restrictive on their baggage limits. I have a couple of trips coming up in the next few months, one a very quick two night stay in UK the other a couple of weeks in two European countries for a holiday we intended to take in 2020... and we all know why that didn't happen! 

In essence I'm looking to cut down my baggage to just a carry on bag for the short UK visit and a small light bag and case for the longer trip. I'm looking at everything I need for each trip. My 'packing list' has expanded over the years, it was therefore time to examine everything on the list and ask the question: 'Did you use this during the last 2-3 trips?' if not then it gets dropped. 

Naturally my organiser has come under examination. Yes I do use it whilst I'm away, life continues! But do I need something as big as an A5? 

I've been getting on well with my Pocket Kensington. Mainly as a notebook with a year planner. I decided to expand on its planning capability by adding a Month on Two Page diary insert and add in up coming appointments to it for the next few months to see how workable/useful it was. 

It is certainly a winner in terms of compact and light weight. When I'm travelling I like to be able to jot down things as I think of them. Also have a written record of booking numbers etc. The Pocket Kensington will be more than ample for these tasks. 

I was also considering using a Compact Personal size Filofax as an alternative. However, I will see how well I get on with the Pocket over the next week or two before trying that out. 

4 comments:

  1. I too chased the dream of 'one life one planner', first by upgrading my Winchester from 23mm to 25mm, then having to move up to the 30mm rings of a Cavendish, then when even this became maxed out I had to look for a different solution - my 25mm ring Winchester for work and a standard 23mm for 'none work (i.e when I'm not in work). However the revelation that made the two work was using a fold out year calendar which I just transfer from 'work' to 'personal' Winchester along with two weeks of wo2p. It's working so far...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently bought a cheap Filofax Saffiano Zip (Personal Compact) from private, because I was interested in the very variable system - which is also very practical for travelling. One for all.
    The combination of faux leather and fabric makes it quite light and offers an incredible number of pockets (18 card slots, 5 long inner pockets - two of them are gusseted, one is with a zip and one is elastic, for example for a smartphone and also a long pocket on the outside) and - very great - a removable ring system with 15mm rings.
    Thanks to the really very smooth-running zipper, everything is well secured and there is also a hand strap to buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edit: there are not 5, but 7 long inside pockets plus the long pocket for the ring mechanism.

      Delete
  3. I relate too much to this post, sadly. I tried every size; discs, rings. Moleskine, you name it I tried it. Nothing seemed to make me happy.
    Until.....I came up with, All I need is a calendar on two pages & plenty of note lined paper. That makes me happy! Today, my EDC is a pocket Malden, with pocket plus inserts and a few cute stickers.

    ReplyDelete