12 April 2024

Free For All Friday - No. 805 by Steve

I recently had a need to share some data with people that I had on a simple spreadsheet. I could of course shared the spreadsheet, but not everyone has Excel on their computer, a lot of people only have a mobile phone these days. 

I could have approached someone else to create an app I guess, but that potentially would lead to cost and because it was part of one of my voluntary jobs I decided to keep things in-house. 

I came up with a simple solution a set of tables like a ready-reckoner, easy to use, easy to share and the resulting calculations from the figures would be accurate enough for the purposes intended. 

When I shared the results with the rest of the committee, they were surprised at the simplicity of the presentation and how it has solved a problem. Of course I've made the tables suitable for putting in to my organiser as well!

As we approach another weekend please feel free to discuss anything organiser related. 

1 comment:

  1. Custom Doc Anon12 April, 2024 06:44

    Talk on Tuesday's FFA (688) about duplex printing and booklets in Personal size got me thinking. I created a single 4-page Word doc in A4 and filled it with random text, different on each page so I could tell them apart.

    I went to the print dialogue in MS Word (Print > Properties > Quick Setup tab), set paper size to Custom > 190mm wide (width of 2 Personal pages side by side) and 171mm tall, I also cut a sheet of paper to that size.

    Setting the dialogue (Print > Properties > Page Setup tab) to booklet print, it accepted the settings, my Canon printer didn't want to do automatic duplex on a custom size piece of paper and asked me to uncheck "automatic" but then the booklet printed correctly when manually fed.

    The potential deal-breaker is that there's a 3cm empty margin at the top and bottom of each printed page, which isn't inherited from the settings on the Word docs I printed, and I can't currently find a way to remove it (if I do, I'll update here).

    But it looks as though a printer WILL booklet print to Personal sized pages as happily as to A5, correctly putting Word pages 1, 2, 3, and 4 in booklet format, including scaling the text automatically.

    The margin nearest the crease is also a respectable, and hole-punchable, 10mm. I don't see this replacing my custom docs for inserts, but it might be useful in other areas.

    ReplyDelete