Intro: Hello all! I'm Lisa and I live in a small town with my husband, two pugs, and a cat. I have one son and a grandson and I own and operate a restaurant. Earlier this year I formed a LLC and purchased a few rental properties (pray for me!!).
1. When did you buy your first organiser and what was it?
I bought my first organizer back in high school. It was probably a day-runner or daytimer, but spiral bound; basically a plastic case with spiral bound inserts for a calendar, to-do lists, and addresses/phone numbers. I bought these faithfully for years, and then one day I couldn't find them locally anymore. This was mid to late 1980's, before the days of internet, so I resorted to notebooks and bound books. I purchased my first Filofax last year and immediately fell in love with ring bound planners.
2. What other brands have you used or considered using?
I found Franklin Covey binders late last year and am slowly gravitating towards them.
3. Out of the organisers you own which is your current favourite (Style and Size)?
My current favorites are my pocket Hamilton and my FC compact Ava. I carry both of them: Hamilton as a wallet and for quick notes, thoughts, and inspiration, Ava for figuring out how to get things done and make everything work.
4. How many Filofax or other brands of organisers do you own?
Other than the pocket and the compact, I have a personal Portland, a personal Domino, and an A5 Holborn zip.
5. What is the oldest organiser in your collection?
I think Hamilton is older than the Portland, but I'm not sure.
6. What do you use your organisers for?
I use my organizers for everything. Grocery lists, shopping lists, vendor info, tax id#'s, work, projects, family life, holidays, packing lists, future plans, paying bills, wish lists, pet info, etc. I can't think of anything that's not in either of them.
7. How many sections do you have in your organiser and what is each section used for?
Both binders have sections for to-do's, calendar, projects, tasks (not the same as to-do's) , future, notes, and info. Hamilton has all these sections on a much smaller scale, usually just a page that I fill up and then archive. Ava tracks on a more in-depth basis, because I'm the type of person who likes to know the last time I purchased something, paid a bill, or worked on a particular project.
8. What was the feature about Filofax you like most?
I love the flexibility and most especially, the community. I can't tell you how gratifying it's been to find so many like-minded people.
9. If you could design your own Filofax what would it feature?
I'm afraid I'm not very creative when it comes to designing things. I prefer to let Filofax surprise me with every new line.
10. How do you carry your Filofax?
I carry both binders in my purse and not much else. I live within a mile of everything I need as far as home and work. My daily run only consists of going to the bank, grocery store, and post office, so it's not an issue. Both binders spend most of their time open on my desk or my kitchen counter.
11. Which Filofax in the current range do you like the most? Are you going to buy it?
I don't plan on purchasing another binder in the near future, but if I do it will most likely be a Franklin Covey. That system works for me on the level that I need it to, without me having to create or add anything.
12. What is the most you have ever spent on a Filofax or other brand of organiser? Which model?
I love this question! The most I've ever paid was $119 for my Holborn zip on eBay. It was a slow day at work and I got caught up in the moment.
13. What's your favourite Filofax tip or hack?
Embrace the ugly planner!! I fantasize over other people's setups on youtube and in blogposts, but that will likely never be me. Real life is messy and that's okay.
14. Turning to Philofaxy, what do you like the most?
Web finds and reader under the spotlight are my favorites.
15. And what do you not like about Philofaxy?
I love everything! There's nothing I would change.
16. What was the last music track you downloaded or bought?
We have an mp3 player at work that plays constantly and everyone has music on their phones, so there's no need for me to download music. When I'm alone, which is very rare, I prefer to listen to my own thoughts.
17. Have you ever attended a Philofaxy meet-up? if not do you intend to one day?
I haven't attended any Philofaxy meet-ups, but I would love to.
18. What was the last movie you watched?
Guardians of the Galaxy.
19. What was the last book you read?
Thank you Lisa.
As you know we are constantly looking for new people to appear in our 'Reader Under Spotlight feature, you don't have to be 'well known' or a long term user to be considered to appear in this 'spot'.
So please contact Steve philofaxy at gmail dot com today. Thank you.