30 May 2018

Changes to Blogger/Blogspot

With the advent of the new data protection regulations here in Europe, Google has changed some of the options on Blogger/Blogspot.

One of the changes which will impact ordinary readers like yourself is that you can no longer comment on the blog with an Open I.D. profile. They now only permit people with a Google account to comment. If you don't have a Google account already set one up, you don't have to use the email side of things.

Google have published a blog post about all of the changes here: It’s spring cleaning time for Blogger

There have been a few other changes behind the scenes that Google haven't admitted to yet. For instance, I no longer receive an email when a comment has been made. Or an email when a comment requires moderation.  Consequently I now have to log in a few times a day to manually check the blog for new comments or comments that require moderation.  So if there is a longer delay than normal in your comment being approved that is the reason why.

And before any one suggests it... moving over to Wordpress has been examined in the past and rejected for several reasons.

9 comments:

  1. I have a Google account, Steve. But I am not offered the option to use either of my Google IDs. I think this may happen only on my phone. I'll get on a pc soon and see if there is a difference.
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you logged in to the others. Log in to one, then click on 'Add Account' in the top right

      Delete
    2. Thanks Steve. I am logged onto one. I'm always logged on to one or the other. I can switch back and forth by clicking the three horizontal lines in the upper left corner then clicking the tiny triangle to the right of the account that is open.
      LOL I see what you are saying. You just showed me a faster way to switch with one less click. After clicking the tiny triangle, I used to have to click the account name that I was switching to. Now, after clicking the horizontal lines, I only have to click the circle in the upper right corner and the switch is done. That circle eliminates the tiny triangle and the account name clicks. I hope I am explaining clearly.

      Delete
  2. My site is a Wordpress account. I don't get emails when comments are made. You'd still have to log in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can set it up to email you comments. It does that on Travellers Notebook Times, not that I get a lot of comments on that.

      In Word Press, go to Settings, Discussion, 'Email whenever' and tick the appropriate boxes.
      Also in Settings, General make sure you have a valid email address set in 'Email address'

      Delete
  3. Hmmm, are there any benefits such as less spam comments?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far no, because I have to keep checking the site for new comments, so SPAM ones do slip through unnoticed for longer.

      Apparently Google are working on a solution which they hope to bring in next week... but don't hold your breath!

      Delete
  4. I'm not getting notification of comments either. It's very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a fix, email me and I will share it with you.

      Delete