29 April 2022

Free For All Friday No 703 by Laurie

A couple of months ago my teenager expressed interest in using a Filofax to help him organize his school assignments and upcoming exams. As you can imagine, I was thrilled!

He wanted a classic-looking Filofax with a black cover. He wanted an A5 for the page size, and as we all know an A5 Filofax can be bulky. So I gave him my A5 Boston Filofax, a discontinued model with small rings, resulting in a slim and surprisingly portable A5 binder. 

He loves the soft leather, but was always afraid of scratching or staining it and felt like he had to be precious with it, which wasn't practical for a planner that needed to go in and out of his backpack multiple times per day. Also, even though the Boston is slimmer than most A5s, he wanted something more portable.

So he bought a black personal size Metropol, and loves it. Because it's not leather, and not a discontinued model, he doesn't have to worry so much about the cover (although he does still wrap it in a soft cloth before putting it in his backpack because he wants to keep it looking nice).

He enjoys the portability of the personal size, and loves the tabbed sections for his diary pages, lists, and various notes.

He is feeling more organized and in control of his school work now with his trusty Filofax!

Any new and exciting Filofax news in your world lately?

And as always on Fridays, feel free to ask and/ or discuss anything Filofax related!

5 comments:

  1. Great news about your son, Laurie!

    I haven't had anything new & exciting recently, but wanted to share something that happened some years ago...

    My best friend did some work for me & asked me to buy her a Filofax instead of a payment. As she needed something larger to write notes & loves colour, I got her an aqua A5 Finsbury. Some time later, she then asked for my help again as her husband would appreciate the use of a Filofax for his busy job managing an office at an airport. I had an A4 Kensington (wish that I'd taken photos as I've never seen another) that I gifted to him as he needs to keep an eye on his team's schedules, so the larger pages are perfect for him. I'm glad to hear that they are both very happy with their Filofaxes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the fact he was concerned about keeping both your binder and the one he purchased looking nice. That just made me smile today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought myself a metropol personal size when I thought I'd give filofax a go. I was given a mystery model, leather, zipped, pocket filofax by my parents in about 1990ish. I never really used it as I didn't need organising back then and didn't need it. Much more recently I was experimenting with organisation methods or systems like bullet journal, filofax, etc. I bought a leucchturm bullet journal, diary and the metropol filofax one January to see what I liked.

    I currently use bullet journal for work and filofax for personal. Still user the metropol but rant a leather one, can't justify the expense right now, plus not sure about best size. I must admit filofaxes are a premium product so I too get a bit precious about protecting even my metropol.

    Must find a use for the pocket filofax too. It's too good to waste but I've no ideas that suit me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see you Paul! Hope all is well with you

      Delete
  4. The fact that he wraps it is so cute! My boys did ask for their own Filofaxes which they did get one Christmas, cheap ones from Lidl at a time (to this date I use some of the inserts). They used them for some time but lost interest recently. I am sure they will get back to it at some point ;) I’d def love that

    ReplyDelete