25 August 2016

The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Plannerverse - Episode 26

Hobonichi's or ringed planners

Rings? RINGS?! We don’t need no stinkin’ rings! 

Gather round all ye who enjoy the Hobonichi notebook and pay heed as our lovely guest, Theresa Hall, shares with us her inspiration for art and all the advice she has for those who have been thinking about planning in a Hobonichi style planner. 

Steve is on special assignment this week.

If you have ideas for future episodes please send them to steve at philofaxy dot com

Show Notes (timings approximate)
00:00 - Introductions
02:00 - Art in ringless planers
02:30 - Why doodle?
04:00 - When did you start?
07:00 - Why a Hobonichi and not a ringed planner
09:00 - What if you are critical of your drawings
10:30 - Planning in a Hobonichi
12:00 - Stickers and washi tape
15:45 - How has your system evolved
19:00 - Digital world
22:00 - Disconnecting from the digital world
24:45 - To do list for the week
26:00 - Why should you use a Hobonichi?
26:45 - Karine's experience of using a Hobonichi

Episode 26 - Hobonichi's or ringed planners


A direct download is also available here: Episode26.mp3

Show notes: A5 docx pdf  Personal docx pdf

NB: A5 is in A4 format so it can be scaled to suit A5 or A6 size. Personal is for printing direct on Personal size paper.



Presenters - Theresa Hall and Karine Tovmassian
Editing and production - Steve Morton

Our Websites:
Theresa: To Far Away Places (IG)
Karine: Plannerology

Naturally we would love to hear your feedback on the podcast. If you use iTunes please gives us your rating or reviews of the podcast.

Previous Episodes:


25 - Guest interview - Ray Blake - A5 docx pdf  Personal docx pdf
24 - Defining the important things from the urgent things - A5 docx pdf  Personal docx pdf
23 - Guest interview with Rita Sedani - A5 docx pdf  Personal docx pdf
22 - Printing your own inserts - A5 docx pdf  Personal docx pdf
21 - How to derail your planning system by over thinking - A5 docx pdf  Personal docx pdf
20 - Digital devices/services and your analogue planner - A5 docx pdf  Personal docx pdf
19 - What To Keep In Your 'Others' Tab - A5 docx pdf  Personal docx pdf
18 - Zombie Apocalypse Preparation - A5 docx pdf  Personal docx pdf
17 - Managing Finances In Your Planner - A5 docx pdf  Personal docx pdf
16 - Planning for those of us who actually can't live without planning, with guest co-host Carie Harling - A5 docx pdf  Personal docx pdf
15 - Automation NirvanaA5 docx pdf  Personal docx pdf
14 - Work Life Balance and Your Planner - A5 docx pdf  Personal docx pdf
13 - GTD Productivity And Using Your Paper Planner - A5 docx pdf  Personal docx pdf
12 - Job Seeking and Keeping - A5 docx pdf  Personal docx pdf
11 - Planner Fail -  A5 docx pdf  Personal docx pdf
10 - Planner Hacks - A5 docx pdf  Personal docx pdf
9 - Planner Planning - A5 docx pdf  Personal docx pdf
8 - Choosing Inserts - A5 docx pdf  Personal docx pdf
7 - How do you carry your planner - A5 docx pdf  Personal docx pdf
6 - Planners on the go - A5 docx pdf  Personal docx pdf
5 - Why would you pay more than the price of a Filofax? - A5 docx pdf  Personal docx pdf
4 - Using Your Planner To Create Permanent Habit Changes - A5 docx pdf  Personal docx pdf
3 - Getting on with two or more planners - A5 docx pdf Personal docx pdf
2 - Where to start your planning journey and why - A5 docx pdf  Personal docx pdf
1 - What size and why....  - A5 docx pdf  Personal docx pdf

8 comments:

  1. This came at exactly the right time for me! I am just wondering about this leftie thing.... is it not just as uncomfortable for lefties to write at the right side of the rings as it is for righties to write at the left?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless left hand should come with an additional knuckle, I fail to see the whole logic about this debate about rings being more or less difficult to lefties. After all, the rings are in the middle and pages fall on both left and right sides of the rings. Of course it should matter, should the leftie only use the pages on the right side of rings. I personally use them on both sides and still have constant quaffle about ringspace as is. Now, having that said- this probably is my most listened podcast in the series. It was pure bliss from the very beginning as it managed to touch both the creative and the planning side and even if I am planning (I need to carry tons of different information and the very weight of a bound planner/notebooks is too much for my joints) on rings due to sheer necessity, in my dream world I would be able to carry a slim TN with me and call it a day. As this is not possibility, it is refreshing to hear other possibilities from and by other people.

      Delete
    2. I am really torn between these two options at the moment. I did manage to use a small ring size as a carry around and wallet and leave my brick of a 30mm ring planner on my desk most of the time (I don't have a car, and have to carry books around two - so the weight does make a difference), but it does mean that I often have to think about which section of the big planner I may need for the day, and it means that I cannot go ringless to allow me to transfer material from the one system to the other. But I am very tempted to go for the Hobonichi avec option as my daily planner (little weight and loads of writing space, and just carry a plastic pouch in it with the ring planner pages that I may need at that day.... but that's somewhat messy...

      Delete
  2. Same here. I actually took a very mightily critical look at the things I need to have with me. I carried so little that I actually would have needed some of the information with me when it was left on my desk. As I added the few missing little booklets (I make my own TN inserts, use 60 gsm paper on them and binded portions of information in very narrow signatures) to my TN, it became so thick and heavy that it actually dislocated my thumb. I have a genetic disease that makes me dislocate joints easily but I can´t have my organizer help on the thing. I have actually considered carrying a "collections" on ring bound planner on my bag and just calendar pages on a TN. But that would get royally messy as I already need to keep so much different information in check on daily basis. Carrying two books instead of a one would be sheer stupidity. I have even toyed with the idea of making a ringed binder (I use one that I have made myself already. I used personal sized rings and personal height of paper but cut it to 11,5 cm´s wide) with a string attachment for a TN insert. Like a duplex of sorts. Again, the very thought feels much too fussy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see... tomoe river paper in my planner - and the complete absence of solely decorative elements like sticker pouches helps me to reduce the "daily carry" bulk while still being able to carry a significant number of pages. I don't decorate my planner inserts as such, but I make an effort to keep my functional elements pretty (such as a page with a washitape at the outer border to seperate sections in my planner. Since the paper is so thin, such an enforced page is easy to see).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I agree wholeheartedly. Thinnest paper there is. Tomoe RP is impossible to find here in my corners of the world, lest I order it but I find it easier to drive to closest Staples and my beloved 60 gsm paper. It falls neatly in between 52 and 68 gsm Tomoes. My planner is and needs to be very professionally astute. So no stickers or cutesy paraphernalia. The one page I have washi on the edge of my page is on my "wishlist" page at the back of my planner from which I, on a rare occasion will choose a gift to myself to celebrate a job well done. I too have chosen to separate sections by tabs. Anything and everything to reduce the bulk. One thing I can not give up (without whining, bitching and moaning forever) is leather. Right now I have a leather planner with a full sized back pocket, all lined with leather.

      Delete
  4. Tomoegawa or the so called tomoe river is named after tomoe sign. Tomoe is usually translated as "comma", it means "turning or circular", looks like comma-type sign and traditionally it was used in the Japanese emblems. It is considered the symbol of Shinto and is related to yin yang symbol, and has a similar meaning, representing the play of forces in the cosmos.
    https://foxofinari.com/2017/07/12/tomoe-what-does-it-mean/

    ReplyDelete