24 September 2012

Reader Under The Spotlight - Tracy R

Today I would like to introduce you to Tracy, her blog you will know I'm sure as we have linked to it many times. 'The Crazy Suburban Mom' but I don't think she is crazy at all, I would rename the blog the Creative Suburban Mom!!

1. When did you buy your first Filofax and what was it?

My very, very first planner wasn't a Filofax.   It was a cheap no-name purple, plastic hot mess bought sometime in the early 80's. I wrote about it not that long ago in a post called -  A disorganized, cluttered, and imperfect joy - (Link is here)  The purple monstrosity was  little bigger then a personal Filofax but smaller then an A5 and as awful as it was, the promise it made of an organized life was the spark for all further planner purchases.

My first official Filofax was a Personal Portland bought new at Bloomingdale's sometime around 1990.   I still have it.  It's  my car Filofax and contains car related documents plus street addresses/phone numbers of places I want to go or go to frequently, and vacation ideas.

2. What other brands have you used or considered using? 

I use/used a few brands; Franklin Covey (a brief flirtation), Daytimers ( I used them on and off in the 90's), success choice ( love the leather and paper but it would work best for people who use that ring configuration unless you love re-punching holes), a Moleskine here and there, and a Midori Traveler's notebook (love)

I always check out binders put out by high end leather companies, too.  I've never bought one of those because while many can use personal size inserts, almost none of them use Filofaxes A5 size.

3. Out of the organisers you own which is your current favourite (Style and Size)?

That's like asking which of your children you love more.... I love the Malden's slots and pockets but prefer the Emerald Finsbury's color and the Portland's leather.

4. How many Filofax organisers do you own?

I have an A5 Grey Malden, an A5  Emerald Green Finsbury, the Portland personal,  a Pink Pocket Rio (my wallet), and a little, baby yellow Piazza (not currently using).

5. What do you use your Filofax for? 

The yellow mini piazza's job is to look pretty, the pink pocket Rio is my wallet, the personal Portland lives in my car and the two A5's are my brain away from, and at, home.   I switch back and forth between the Malden and Finsbury but they hold everything from calendars,to business cards, to letters I'm writing, interactions with various customer service departments, to postage stamps and sticker overflow.

6. What was the feature about Filofax you like most?

Well, obviously the rings allow for total customization but the slots, pockets and compartments add so much usable space in a small (relatively) footprint.  I love that I can just get a pen and write something down, I don't like on-screen keyboard writing.

7. If you could design your own Filofax what would it feature?

I've thought a lot about that and considered writing a post  many, many times.  I've never done it  because what is perfect for me might not be for anyone else.    For me it would have to be A5 sized because that's what works for me.  Other wishes are kind of general; I'd like to see a binder in  minimally processed leather  (or maybe patent leather) because it will last forever.  If I scratch my Filofax I want to see more Filofax, not a plastic backing. 

Also it would have what ever rings the early Filofaxes had.  That Filofax doesn't have the same quality rings is the main reason I'm afraid to make the investment in a new one . 
It's a shame because I'd love to support Filofax, the company, not just Filofax, the brand.

8. How do you carry your Filofax?

Well, I have a very large purse that if full, would hurt me.  So carrying any size is feasible.

9. Which Filofax in the current range do you like the most? Are you going to buy it?

I wish there was a new Filofax I loved  but  the one's I like don't have 30 mm rings which is a deal breaker.   I do look on eBay all the time for old ones.

10. What is the most you have ever spent on a Filofax? Which model?

I bought the A5 Gray Malden new and it was a little over a hundred dollars but at the same time I bought an A5 purple Finchley for $9 during the Swedish sale.  I rationalized the price of the Malden by telling myself I only paid $55 for each - Which made me feel a lot better.

11. Turning to Philofaxy, what do you like the most?

I love that if I don't know the answer to a question,, someone there does.  And like everyone has said before me, the sense of community.  My family is bewildered by Filophila so it's a relief to have a place where people get me.

12. And what do you not like about Philofaxy?

Forgive me, Philofaxy but...  The background color of the Philofaxy site is my least favorite thing.  It doesn't do a thing for you...

13. What was the last music album CD you bought or downloaded?

I'm pretty neutral about music, even in my car.  I love listening to audible books and subscribe to lots of podcasts. I've downloaded tons of apps also, but music isn't really my thing.


Thank you Tracy for going under our Spotlight.

12 comments:

  1. Your blog is so much fun to look through- neat ideas for filofax, plus interesting vintage/retro links. And your dogs are so cute! Makes me want a greyhound, although I'm not in a position to right now. Ventura sure looks happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EmmaNoey - Thank you so much for the comment! I appreciate it so much!

      Tracy

      Delete
  2. Hi Tracy!
    I agree that your blog should be called the creative suburban mom not crazy! I love all the costumization you do on your Filofaxes. Still can't believe I missed the cute pouches you were selling a while back.

    By the way where is the 80's hot mess link? The one that started it all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lime Tree, It was a post I wrote in august. Don't know if I can add links here but if I can ----> http://www.crazysuburbanmom.com/2012/08/a-disorganized-cluttered-and-imperfect.html

      There's no picture of the purple planner, it's long since disintegrated!

      I wish I could more of those pouches, like the red riding hood one, but I can't find them anymore!

      Tracy

      Delete
  3. I loved reading your post. With all of the FC enabling lately, I wonder why you didn't like it?
    I enjoy looking at your setup, I use mostly grid paper too and like to doodle on them. And I'd love it if you'd create more templates. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not that I didn't like Franklin covey really... And now their line is so much bigger there's something for everyone I think.

      I bought one because I'd gotten the personal portland and it was small for me. But the leather is so beautiful and it was really well made. Filofaxes weren't really being widely sold here anymore so I bought the FC to size up. Loved the size but it didn't have the same quality (at that time anyway). The inserts now are really varied but at the time all I could find was standard business type inserts and they didn't work for me.

      I will work on some more templates, glad too! I wasn't sure anyone was really interested so I put it on a the back burner. Is there anything you'd like to see??

      Tracy

      Delete
  4. Tracy, I love your blog. (And Ventura and Ginger.) Your writing is really engaging. Thanks for stepping under the spotlight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for letting me know - I can't tell you how much all these comments mean to me.

      Tracy

      Delete
  5. Hi Tracy! Great to see you featured here-you have been such an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. C - I'm so glad you let me know! Bloggings kind of an odd thing - sometimes I think I put stuff out there and no one hears me! It makes me feel so much better to know people are reading and enjoying!

      Tracy

      Delete
  6. Just want to ask.. If I tried making some personal inserts would people be interested?

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is a silly question would we be interested...is the sky blue...of course we would...

      Delete