21 October 2012

Embracing (Filofax) change - part 2

With a general move to downsizing and reducing the clutter in my life, I really enjoyed reading Steve's review of the Malden compact zipped and purchased one. My plan was to use it as my sole filo and wallet combined, but I sold it as I realised that the combination of the smaller rings and zip meant it all felt a bit constricted to me.




As mentioned in part one of this post, I managed to win two beautiful slimlines on eBay and I thought I'd share some more photos of them with you.

The first contender is the scarlet Adelphi.
I know that some people aren't a fan of the slimline Adelphi due to the front poppered pocket adding extra bulk, but I quite like that as it's easy to use it as a wallet. As soon as I took it out of the packaging I loved it. The colour is a stunning vivid scarlet, the leather is quite soft and I like the diamond pattern as it adds texture and interest. I don't think the photos do it justice really.






And then we have the elegant ruby Deco.
To be honest, I assumed that I would prefer this one but I just didn't bond with it like I did with the Adelphi. It's strange as the Deco is stunning with its mini crocodile print leather and cream suede interior, and the ruby colour is a lovely deep red.






When I initially wrote this, I was asking for help in choosing between these two slimlines but the Deco has already been sold! In the end, I went with my gut feeling as I couldn't wait to use the Adelphi and kept picking it up. In comparison, I occasionally took the Deco out of its box, admired and sniffed it (!) and then put it back in the cupboard. I know that from the comments the overwhelming majority chose the Deco, but somehow the darker red leather felt more serious, a bit too posh and just not me. I did adore my purple Malden, but I was beginning to find the colour a bit on the dark side for every day use, so maybe I was ready for a cheery scarlet filo instead.  

So, the Adelphi is now my main filo, with my A5 as back up for more space and projects. I will write some posts about my slimline set up once I've settled in a little more.

12 comments:

  1. Strangely, I knew you would go for the Adelphi in scarlet, now looking inside both I can see why you chose it over the Deco. Yes, the popper may add bulk but adds a touch of security, especially as it has no outer closure...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I love about FFs - there is such a wide choice and something for everyone. I do think this is a 'tactile' hobby and we often find ourselves loving something in the flesh that on paper we wouldn't have gone for. Shame there are not more shops showing a full display.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading Steve's review, I looked all over for a Compact Malden zipped but I just can't seem to find one. Were they only a short-lived phenomenon? Shame, as it looks perfect for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will be available again officially in UK next year. But if you want one now... then look here:

      http://www.filofax.de/store/organiserdetails.asp?sizeId=13&rangeId=150&dsizeId=13

      or

      http://www.filofax.fr/store/organiserdetails.asp?sizeId=13&rangeId=150&dsizeId=13

      Steve

      Delete
    2. That's good to know, i'm considering either this in Ochre or a Compact Osterley in Orange - decisions decisions, do you have an idea when next year Steve? Thanks :-)

      Delete
  4. Steve - thank-you so much for your reply! I'm a longtime filo-fan (first one was a personal Classic black circa 1987) and I'm a new reader to this site - been catching up for rather too many hours :-)

    BTW, just wanted to say thank you for all your efforts to get the company to revert to its original high standard of well-crafted, simple, soothing, beautiful and useful products and halt this awful trend towards cheap, harsh and blingy products that I, personally, wouldn't be seen dead with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And welcome to Philofaxy. Yes lots to read or search through if you have only just found us.

      Hope you enjoy many a happy hour reading through the previous posts.

      Regards
      Steve

      Delete
    2. Cheap, harsh, and BLINGY. What an excellent choice of adjectives to describe what sadly seems to portray the current selection available from this once great brand!

      Delete
  5. Oh-oh. Just gone and ordered the Malden Compact (ochre) from the French site. Sunday afternoon and raining but I'm very excited! Once again, thanks for info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To Do list with Enabling entry ticked off for this week :-)

      Steve

      Delete
  6. I adore my Damson Adelphi Anita. I've used it since I got it in June and haven't been tempted to move into a different binder at all since then. I can fit everything I need in it, and it doesn't take up too much space in my handbag. Long live Slimlines!

    ReplyDelete