29 October 2012

Reader Under The Spotlight - Laura

This week I would like to introduce you to Laura, who blogs over at jagged little thoughts

Hi, I’m Laura and I have just turned 24 years old. I studied textiles at college and enjoy drawing, painting and writing songs in my spare time; I play guitar as well.

When I was little I was so messy, but once I became a teenager I tidied and organised my room every few days. My mum used to hate me rearranging the furniture in my room every few weeks!

I have always been into organisation, believing everything should have a place and that I should know where that place is!

I have always loved stationery; my favourite shop when I was younger was WH Smiths. I used to collect notebooks (I still have so many)…  I now use them for jotting down pieces of writing and song lyrics.
 

1. When did you buy your first Filofax and what was it?

I bought my first Filofax when I was about 16, it was a black Pocket Identity. I liked the idea of having a diary I could carry around with me, and I thought I was all grown up and professional! I don’t think I used it for very long though as I didn’t really have much to write in it!

2. What other brands have you used or considered using?
I really like the Paperchase organisers, but I think I would get bored very quickly of the bright colours and designs. Although I love design and pattern, and lovely colours, sometimes plain and simple is the way to go. I make a lot of my own inserts and dividers now, so that everything is tailored exactly how I like it.

3. Out of the organisers you own which is your current favourite (Style and Size)?


My favourite would have to be my recently received Personal Domino in Grape. I love the colour (I bought it after my raspberry Finsbury started decaying *sad face*). The colour is really lovely, it’s simple, and it seems to hold so much, with enough room to turn the pages. Also my Frixion pen fits smoothly into the pen loop, unlike the Finsbury where I kept pulling the lid off trying to get it out of the loop.

4. How many Filofax organisers do you own?


I currently own 4 Filofax; 2 Pocket Dominos (one in chocolate and one in lavender), a Personal Domino in grape and a Personal Chameleon in Aqua, which Filofax sent me as a replacement for the Finsbury. I don’t think I’ll ever get on with it though, it’s just not purple!

5. What do you use your Filofax for?


I only use one Filofax at a time. I was using the lavender Domino (Pocket) but it was far too small for me.  It was light and easy to carry, but too small. I upgraded to a Personal, and this holds literally everything in my brain! Diary, meal plans, emergency recipes, coupons, special dates, birthday and Christmas lists, ideas for new songs, settings for my guitar amp, notes, tracking my spending…. I could go on!

6. What was the feature about Filofax you like most?


I like the fact that I can move the pages around, and that I can make my own inserts and choose the diary layout that works the best for the way I live.

7. If you could design your own Filofax what would it feature?


Well… it would have to be purple!  But it would be nice to have some more designs like the Songbird and Swift that are a little bit quirky. Maybe a ‘Design Your Own’ where you can choose a texture, e.g. Chameleon, Osterley, Domino… and then pick the colour. Also I would have a photo slot in the front, because I like photos!

8. How do you carry your Filofax?


It comes with me to work every day in my handbag. Since I got a Domino to replace my Finsbury, the Domino is much lighter (even though there’s more stuff in it!), but because I drive to work, I leave my Domino in my car in the driver’s side cubby hole. I don’t really need it in the office; I tend to remember things on my lunch break, so it’s really handy if I have a brain wave! At weekends the meal planner page goes food shopping with me, but my Filo usually stays on the coffee table at home within easy reach.

9. Which Filofax in the current range do you like the most? Are you going to buy it?


I really love the look of the Personal Purple Malden but three things put me off… The way the leather looks like it crumples over time where you fold open the front cover, the price, and the fact that it is like gold dust to try and get hold of! Apart from that, nothing else really appeals to me.

10. What is the most you have ever spent on a Filofax? Which model?


I’ve never spent more than £30 on a Filofax because I change my mind so often and don’t have much expendable income. The Pocket Dominos were both on sale at WHSmith, and my Finsbury and Domino were both from eBay.

11. Turning to Philofaxy, what do you like the most?


The community spirit! And also it gives me something to sit down and concentrate on, and read through the web finds every Tuesday after work and every Saturday afternoon with a  cup of tea.

12. And what do you not like about Philofaxy?


Internet Explorer is worn out from opening so many tabs on Tuesdays and Saturdays! [Firefox?]

13. What was the last music album CD you bought or downloaded?


The Civil Wars album, Barton Hollow. Excellent band, got their CD for my birthday and it’s excellent cooking music!

Thank you Laura for agreeing to go under our spotlight. If you would like to be a future Reader Under The Spotlight, please contact us at: philofaxy [at] gmail [dot] com 

5 comments:

  1. Its good to meet your Laura and nice to see your appreciation for the Domino. I have had much more expensive binders and keep coming back to my Bronze Snakeskin Domino. They are light and capacious aren't they? They also seem to stand up to a good deal of wear and tear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alison, totally agree with you! In my opinion the Domino is one of the best. Affordable and definitely does the job it should, and the capacity is just epic!

      Delete
  2. Yes, some people have weight issues with Filos - the Dominos are lovely and light - Filofax ought to bring out more luxury Dominos like the Sake. They'd sell so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to think Dominos where ugly. I bought an extremely cheap used mini Domino in violet (purple, really) from Ebay, which has became my favorite Filofax. I have it with me at home all the time, and I use it to take notes. It's very cool and light, and it holds a lot, including an English vocabulary and expressions section which is growing really fast. I guess the English section will need upgrading soon to its own binder, probably a personal (maybe A5) Domino? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Donimo does seem to be one of the forgotten filos, but I wouldn't want to use it as a wallet, as a straight forward filo perfect.

    ReplyDelete