01 October 2012

Reader Under the Spotlight - Deborah

Today I would like to introduce you to Deborah. 

Hello All!  I'm Deborah, a 38 year-old professional (in civil service) living in the U.S.  I have a wonderful husband (we just celebrated our 11-year anniversary), two fabulous young children - a son and daughter, and two dogs: a German Shepherd Dog and a Mastiff.  
I stumbled upon Philofaxy last year and became immediately infatuated!  So now I divide my free time between reading, painting, reading Philofaxy, and blogging.  I blog at Thoughts and Exploration

On my blog I write about an assortment of things, including Filofaxes.  I enjoy writing about my Fax because I just love it!  I actually have to make an effort to keep myself from dominating my blog with posts on my two main obsessions - Filofaxes and purses.  

I love reading Philofaxy and others' blogs because it gives me a lot of ideas and inspiration.  My husband thinks I'm nuts...if I am, at least I'm a happy nut!

1. When did you buy your first Filofax and what was it?

I believe I bought my first Filofax in June of 2011.  I was fortunate enough to have a store near me that carries a few so I spent an unhealthy amount of time looking at them, touching them, trying them out in my purse (with the store attendant’s permission of course!).  Over an hour later and a quick walk over to Franklin Covey – also in the same mall – I decided on a personal black Classic.

2. What other brands have you used or considered using?

I was introduced to Franklin Covey in 2001 and was immediately hooked.  Since then it was only FC for me in my planner choice…until June 2011.

3. Out of the organisers you own which is your current favourite (Style and Size)?

Without a doubt my all-time favorite planner – the one that has no equal – is my personal buttercup ostrich.  I’m so melodramatic!  Seriously, I really feel like it has no equal…well, maybe the ostrich in red.  Would love to add that to my collection.

4. How many Filofax organisers do you own?

I have 12.  So I guess I’ve been averaging one Filofax per month.  I’ve sold two so that ruins my average but heck…I’m sticking with 1 per month.  I own a pocket Kendal, 9 personals (Classic, Malden, Finsbury, Kendal, Amazon, Holborn, Deco x2, Ostrich), and 2 A5s (Classic and Aston).

5. What do you use your Filofax for?

I have two that I use all the time.  I carry my personal ostrich with me everywhere.  If it’s not in my hand, it’s in my purse or on my desk.  If I could take it to bed with me without my husband calling the guys in white with the straightjacket, I’d do it.  It holds all of the stuff that I use everyday including my calendar, cards, medical info, children’s info, blog info, numbers, etc.

I also am currently using my Aston A5 as my work binder.  It does not have a calendar in it but instead is full of notepaper, business card holders, to do lists, and the A to Z tabs where I file the notes that I take during my meetings.  I love this system!

6. What was the feature about Filofax you like most?

I know I’m only going to repeat things that others have said but I love the versatility.  I love being able to personalize and organize a gorgeous binder with all of the information that I need so that I can be more organized and productive.

7. If you could design your own Filofax what would it feature?

It would be an Ostrich with even more pockets, pockets, pockets!  It would have the Holborn/Ostrich pockets but it would also have pockets on the outside front and back cover.  And I would be able to fill this beauty with a plethora of fabulous inserts of all different colors, designs, and formats. 

8. How do you carry your Filofax?

I carry my personal either in my hand or in my purse.  My A5 normally stays locked up at work.  If I need to bring it home, I carry it in my briefcase.

9. Which Filofax in the current range do you like the most? Are you going to buy it?
I’m lucky enough to own the one that I like the most – the Ostrich.  If I had to pick one that I didn’t yet own I would probably pick the Osterley.  It looks so lovely and luxurious!  It still isn’t enough to tempt me away from my current binder though so I won’t be taking the plunge.

10. What is the most you have ever spent on a Filofax? Which model?
The most I’ve spent was for the Ostrich, which I was able to find at a very generously discounted price from Pens and Leather.  It still came in at around $440 but it was worth it!  I’m going to grow old with this binder and then I’ll give it to my daughter!

11. Turning to Philofaxy, what do you like the most?


The people!  The Philofaxy community is incredible.  I’ve “met” some wonderful people and the community is always so willing to help answer questions and give tips and suggestions.  The people make Philofaxy what it is – a fantastic online community!

12. And what do you not like about Philofaxy?

This is a tough one!  I can’t really think of something substantive that I dislike.  Grasping for straws I guess I would say that I don’t like the current format of the “Pages” links (on the left).  I liked it better when these were running along the top. [Steve: Now fixed....]

13. What was the last music album CD you bought or downloaded?

An oldie but a goodie.  This is an album that I listened to in my teen years.  George Winston’s December.

Thank you Deborah for agreeing to go under the spotlight.

22 comments:

  1. Truly, that Ostrich is gooooregeous! I actually went to your blog to see the delight in action.
    Nice to see that the thing is so well used and clearly loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, WierdRockStar. It is definitely well loved and used! And thanks for following my blog!!!

      Delete
  2. Your Ostrich is so beautful. I couldn't commit to one planner, but if I did, I would want one too. Do you also use it as your wallet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ling. It is so fantastic that any desire to switch to another is completely gone. I have used it as my wallet as well and it has worked perfectly for that but since I sometimes leave it on my desk, unattended, I didn't want to leave my $ and cards in it...so I stopped using it as a wallet.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for introducing me to Ostrich - I love Red and would like to have a Buttercup too!






    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you found Red! Now I want to add a red to my collection! Ugh!

      Delete
  4. Thanks Deborah - I love your blog as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alison! You're comment has made me a very happy gal! I'm glad that you enjoy my blog.

      Delete
  5. Deborah, I have slept with my grey Malden. Well you never know when you might need it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very logical and practical justification, Patricia. One could make the argument that I have been irresponsible in not taking it to bed with me!
      I could have need for it in the middle of the night! ;-)

      Delete
    2. Very nice interview Debrah, nice to get to know you better :)
      I had slept with my Baroque as well! hehehe

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Lime Tree! Well, that settles it...Buttercup will stop sleeping in my purse. until hubby finds out...lol

      Delete
  6. Deborah, When you get a few years older you'll have the perfect excuse to sleep next to Buttercup....over 50 if you don't write it down, you don't remember it! :)

    Love your photos of Buttercup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that, Barbara! And I'm glad that you like the Buttercup photos. You should see the looks I get from my husband when I do a Buttercup photo shoot!

      Delete
  7. I want a Buttercup Ostrich

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) I'm looking forward to putting it into the small classic briefcase from SBL! Shouldn't you get a Buttercup for your bag too??? ;-0

      Delete
    2. Absolutely! :) What color BC are you getting?

      Delete
  8. Hi Deborah, I'm completely with you on the filofax/purse obsession.... (and I keep my filofax right beside my bed, to the amused disgust of my husband!) Is the Ostrich a soft leather? It looks rough, but I'd love to know how it feels as that's one of my main criteria when I choose a filo or purse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, baggirl. Hard obsessions, aren't they?

      The leather is soft and textured. I love touching it; very unique. I did a review of the binder here on Philofaxy. If you do a search for Ostrich it should pull it up, or if you select the ostrich label you should find it there.

      Delete
    2. Thanks - I will check out your review! Sometimes I just have to remind myself that my obsessions could be worse: drink or cars or something, and also put up with my husband shaking his head at my latest "fix"! I think the Ostrich sounds lovely but i am saved from complete temptation by the fact that it isn't available as a mini...... but maybe I could get a pocket...

      Delete
    3. smiling an evil enabling smile! Pens and Leather does carry it in pocket.

      Delete