25 May 2020

How Many?

I've just done an 'audit' of my full collection this past weekend. There is a very important matter to address when assessing the size of your 'collection'.


Now you might think how many is that.... eleven across by six down, sixty six, but there is only 21.251 really.

How did I manage to get to that number? Let me explain in more detail with the aid of this table.


My photo of the full collection above doesn't make it easy to work out the relative size of each organiser, but they divide in to the different sizes as shown in the second column of the table.

Looking in the third column you will see I have used A4 as being '1' and then each size below A4 has an 'Equivalent Value' scaled from the page size with a slight 'fudge' factor to allow for Compact and Slimline having smaller rings... hmmm I need to introduce a similar fudge factor for 'Compact A5' to get my 'Philofaxy Value' even lower!.

I digress.... You then multiple the Number Owned by the Equivalent Value to get the Philofaxy Value and then just add up all of those values in the final column to get the Total Philofaxy Value for your whole collection.

Yes, I know 66 is a silly high number to admit to owning, but I did buy the first one in 1986 over 34 years ago.... that equates to less than two a year... 1.941 actual organisers per year, on average. We will not plot the actual growth of the collection over the years, especially in the last 10-15 years!! I like the figure of less than two a year!

If you want to find out what your Philofaxy Value is click here. (Excel file). The original idea for this unit of measurement goes back several years to an earlier post.

1 comment:

  1. The format equivalent number approach does downplay the somewhat excessive number of personal size Filofaxes I own. Still not sure I want to carry out a full audit though!
    I like the photo matrix you’ve put together here Steve. I think you are lacking more of the older (pre-1990) models - I can only see a couple.

    ReplyDelete