11 May 2020

Guest Post: An update on FiloWiki - Robert.

Thank you to Robert for an up-date on FiloWiki, if you haven't discovered it yet, it has the answers to most of your questions

Pen-loop sizes

I don’t use the pen-loops in my planners at all as I use a cut-to-fit Filofax Flex A5 pen-loop insert I punched and added to my EDC. This way I can always have the same pen-loop size with me.

But people have expressed interest in the size of the pen-loops in the Filofax models, so I added an overview page and a few categories in an attempt to provide a bit more information. The overview-page can be reached via:

http://filowiki.robert-mayr.com/index.php?title=Pen-loop_sizes


The most common pen-loop-size categories are already listed, including pens that do have that measurement. Sometimes the measurement is not exactly the size e.g. “11mm”, but more leaning against “10mm”. In those cases I have added “10mm-11mm” in the model-description.


I would like to stress that the measurements of the flexible pen-loops are made to be a “comfortable fit”. A good or nice usage of the pen-loop. The pen does have a good foothold and does not overly stretch the pen-loop.

I added as many measurements as possible, the pens and planners listed are from my own little herd. If anyone wants to help out, you can send missing measurements by email to filowiki (at) robert-mayr.com. Please send mm-information or the pen you used. If you are not sure that I have the specific pen in my little collection (don’t ask!), just drop me a line …

Browsing production years

With more Filofax-catalogues available I converted the majority of production information entries in the Filowiki away from pointing to decades to listing the years a model was available. This is something I wanted to do early on but only now got the chance to realise it. The overview-page can be reached via:

http://filowiki.robert-mayr.com/index.php?title=Category:Production_years


Like always the information is as good as possible and not free from errors. If you encounter an error, please contact me via email or Facebook. Every entry is up for debate.

The models with production-time information state the start and end year for the model. Every year-information is clickable and sends the user to the year-listing with every model in that year.


There is a navigation-line at the top of every year, listing it’s nearest neighbors to ease the navigation to the other years.


Is this a vintage model???
Maybe one of most often asked questions in the community is “Is this a vintage model?”. The questions behind this are quite often: “Was it a bargain?” “Can I sell it at a premium?”

Ethics aside, as this has led to quite some confusion with newbies and regulars, so I chime in to make another definition nobody accepts … no, only joking. I’d like to create a page, a listing which everybody can accept and maybe refer to. So, in discussion with others, I have created three categories, their pages with remarks on top about the content and started categorizing models to these categories.

Before I describe the categories I would like to stress that this is a work-in-progress! They are not listed on the front page and only reachable via the links below. The categories and their contents are up for debate and I don’t want to dismiss any objections or ideas on this. That aside, the categories:

Vintage model: Models of the legendary Filofax-era, the 1980s. Up until about 1992 when the last real "Made in England"-models were made and production was moved to Asia. Link: http://filowiki.robert-mayr.com/index.php?title=Category:Vintage_model


Vintage-style models: Models made after the legendary Filofax-era of the 1980s which are reminiscent of that style and/or it's quality. Link: http://filowiki.robert-mayr.com/index.php?title=Category:Vintage-style_model


Vintage-ish models: Models that copy the look of the classic Filofax-style, but do fall short in one aspect or another. Like inferior leather or low-quality ring mechanisms. Link: http://filowiki.robert-mayr.com/index.php?title=Category:Vintage-ish_model

Ok, the last one is a bit tongue-in-cheek and might lead to a bit of a chuckle here and there, but I wanted to acknowledge models that have a classic look and have been sold in high numbers. Models that might have started people with Filofax and do represent Filofax for many customers.

At the end I would like to take the opportunity to point to my currently running “Planner of the week”-series showcasing a different model of my personal planners every week. Showing the old, the slightly newer, the obscure and maybe some unknown creatures. Link: http://filowiki.robert-mayr.com/index.php?title=Planner_of_the_week_series

If you are a member of the Philofaxy-Facebookgroup you can follow the series on Facebook-Hashtag too. Link: https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/planneroftheweek?source=feed_text&epa=HASHTAG

I have a soft spot for oddballs and yes, my personal collection-page is hopelessly outdated. Link: http://filowiki.robert-mayr.com/index.php?title=My_collection

So for now, keep on planning. Robert.

22 comments:

  1. Hi Robert

    Really interesting to see my Cavendish classified as 'Vintage-style!'. Time-wise I think this is true, although in every other respect it looks, feels and behaves like a vintage Filo.

    Interesting to see the Kendal pocket and personal in 'Vintage-ish', but not the A5, presumably A5s are excluded on age here. I just sold my Kendal A5 and always thought it was a fine binder, made even more fine by the elasticated pen loops (two!), which make it fairly unique.

    I'm interested in why you think the Hampstead falls short of Vintage-style. I've still got the Hampstead I bought in 2000, although I don't use it any more, and again it's a fine piece of work. I'd be interested to know what you think the shortcomings are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      the Kendal Pocket does not list for me. I only add models with paper-sizes comparable to the vintage binders. I hope this makes any sense. Pocket and A5 just have not been available at the time.

      The Cavendish is listed as Vintage-style as it was produced after the "vintage-era".

      The Hampstead is listed as Vintage-ish because it is not made entirely of leather. The mesh on the right inside might be "forgiveable" but the inside back is not very stylish. And it does not have a replaceable ring-mechanism (not sure on that...).

      Delete
    2. Oh and what a coincidence, I just bought a Hampstead....

      Delete
  2. Hi Robert, thanks for a great resource. I have a personal Windsor bought in 1993 which is not quite vintage.
    It has very good quality rings...the only downside is the short strap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Windsor has been added to Vintage-ish right now. Why? Inferior leather quality. I have had models crack and crumble on me. Sadly. And the textile parts on the inside.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your reply. My Windsor has only had light use...that must be why it hasn’t fallen apart yet!

      Delete
    3. Hi Robert, I have one Belgravia Pocket and Mini with fake leather inside that falls apart (comes off in flakes) without usage. The same happens to the Guildford Personal Zip that I own.

      Delete
    4. Hi, the leather on the inside of my Belgravia M2 and my Amazona Mini is also cracking. But I am not sure it is fake leather.

      Delete
  3. Robert- thank you for all the hard work :) I love reading FiloWiki from time to time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. No update in a long time but I have always kept it running and updated, software-wise.

      Delete
  4. Robert-many thanks for sharing the results of your many years of extensive research into the iconic Filofax planner! (I’m your biggest fan!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If it were not for all the people that sent me pictures of their Filos it would not have been possible!

      Delete
  5. Well done Robert! A very fair way of attempting to clarify what “vintage” means. The biggest divide is between organisers that Filofax made themselves at their own factory - which was everything up until around 1990 - and those afterwards, that they sub-contracted to third party manufacturers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope the categorys find broad acceptance and help people.

      Delete
  6. I too like the categories of vintage-ness you’ve set out Robert. Good job there.
    I guess any pre-1980 models you may add in future might qualify for an extra level of distinction, although only really through age and comparative rarity rather than anything inherent about their build.
    The only real surprise I saw in the listings were the Dundee models, which I’d have had down as vintage style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Pre-1980s are sadly not represented in the in wiki, at the moment. I have to admit my knowledge is very limited there. I wish we had more catalogues of the 1980s and before. Those have been very helpful.
      Dundee: You are right, this model is exactly in the "debate-zone". I would have marked it as Vintage-style but there is a "Made in England" in the embossing, so I felt those might be one of the last to be added to the vintage-list.

      Delete
    2. It is tricky I agree. The models called Sherwood, Tejus and Iguana from the same period also display that embossing.

      Delete
    3. Absolutely. Especially the Sherwood is a problem as it has been "rebooted" later on using cheaper leather. The first versions included very good materials.
      I have a burgundy with gilt corners and my personal impression is that of an "ok" binder. Not comparable to a Winchester or something like that.

      Delete
  7. I'd also like to express my gratitude for all your hard work & for creating such a wonderful resource! I think that your vintage categories are great as there are definitely newer models which are still popular with people who tend to prefer the older models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am happy the project does have a use!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for this update Robert. I tend not to use pen loops but it'll be useful to those that want to. I also appreciate the other updates. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Robert for the interesting and helpful wiki. But why wasn't the Connaught included with the vintage style models?

    ReplyDelete