21 October 2024

Choosing my favourites for 2024 - by Anita

Since purchasing my first Filofax back in 2009, I've come to realise that I'm an enthusiast, but not really a collector of them, so periodically I choose my favourites and rehome the rest. So, at the end of last August, I was left with just my beloved Kensington and thought that was that... 

However, I think that I've since figured out my version of planner peace (haha, for now) and decided to find myself a second binder for when I want some variety. Also, whilst the Kensington is 'the one', there will be times, especially in the winter months, when I want a bit of colour, so I started looking for a cheap and colourful one and finally found an emerald personal Finsbury for a great price (Finsbury post to come). 

For now, I feel that I'm done with any further buying and selling, but I guess I'm not going to say anything like, "That's it, I'm done" or anything, just that I'm pretty content with what I currently now own. I'd been meaning to rehome some of these for years, but didn't have the time or spare energy previously, so it felt like a great relief, especially when four of them left in one week!

Here are a couple of my previous posts about selling and choosing favourites:

Choosing my favourite

Cycles of buying and selling 

Zero spending on binders in 2016

1. Filofax Billingham

Pros: quite a rare Winchester-like vintage model with beautiful tan colour leather and soft canvas.
Cons: poor Billingham... none really, other than the fact that it isn't a Kensington (my favourite). I admit that this beauty sat on my bookshelf for nearly a year without being used, so I was delighted when it went to its lovely new owner instead.
 
 
Pros:
amazing customer service during the order process, beautiful Janet Leather and being able to admire the wonderful skill involved in having a completely custom made binder created for me.
Cons: there will definitely be a theme here, as basically I realised that my Kensington is my all-time favourite, even when compared with this wonderful VdS. I just found that I wasn't using it, so was again very pleased when it went to its lovely new home. If I ever buy another Van der Spek, I wouldn't have the big back pocket again, as I found that it made it feel more bulky with the thicker Janet Leather. 
 
3. Pocket Moterm (model now discontinued)
 
Pros: lovely little binder that it like a leather Domino. 
Cons: I bought this on a whim really, as I've never used pocket size and had planned to give it a go. However, I realised that whilst I love the idea of the smaller size, I know that personal suits me the best. Gifted to a very happy person in a local freebies Facebook group. 

4. Red vintage non-branded 
 
Pros: on paper, this one sounds good as it's very similar to a Winchester, but with much more supple leather (than the ones that I've previously owned)
Cons: I admit that I actually never used this one, as occasionally I'd move into it and then straight back out again! I think that the leather was possibly too smooth and almost like the colour was painted on, giving it a less pleasant tactile experience. Gifted to the Facebook group person. 

 
Pros: wonderful minimal styling with thick leather and such a great colour.
Cons: I hadn't used an A5 for quite a few years, so this was a bit of an experiment for when I changed to a new work from home job. No cons for the Filofax itself, as I just decided to stick with an A4 hardback notebook for work, so the Original was returned to its previous owner.  


 
Pros: A4 size is handy for printing out or storing paperwork and the Graphic is lighted for its size as it's not leather. 
Cons: I bought this for my late Mum, but A4 size is quite a beast! For me, the size takes up too much space if you wanted to keep it open on a desk and I would've needed a much bigger bag, if I'd wanted to take it with us to any appointments when I was a carer. Donated to a charity shop.


Pros: oh man, the leather on this one is sublime and the great layout could work perfectly as a wallet. 

Cons: absolutely none (I might regret getting rid of this one day), but whilst I love the idea of a slimline, it really doesn't have enough ring space for me. Gifted to Steve. 

8. Duck egg personal Domino Soft

I don't have any photos of this one, as it was a super cheap eBay bargain bought on a whim and I didn't have it very long. Here is a link to Janet's post about the model. 

Pros: really nice faux leather and minimal styling. 

Cons: only the colour really, as I think that the duck egg colour was a bit too pale for me personally. Gifted to the local freebie Facebook group.

1 comment:

  1. I have acquired too many binders, through my mild 'hunting' addiction... I should probably stop looking at ebay, other than maybe using it to clear some of the pile I am unlikely to use; I missed a nice-looking vintage Buckingham and interesting inserts today, due to expecting the auction to run to term... I ought to stick with the binders I really prefer; early Pockets, ideally in kid leather. They are perfect for my use.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete