28 March 2013

Filofax Pocket Eton

I recently acquired this Filofax Eton Pocket Organiser, as soon as I picked the Eton out of its box and removed the packing, I realised why this particular model has a certain 'wow' factor to it.

The leather is so soft and supple, the stitching is so beautifully done and the layout and design shows some great detail and consideration, I was quite won over by it as soon as I saw it.

To me it isn't a 'fashion icon' more of a design classic in a way, simple, understated but so well executed that it will be a timeless classic in future years... may be.






It only has the smaller Pocket ring size of 15 mm, but this is the same as my Chameleon. But as you can see there's no shortage of pockets or card slots. There isn't a full width wallet pocket on the rear side. However, it does lay flat right out of the box.


My Malden Pocket looks quite big in comparison! The Malden is 19mm ring size hence the slightly bigger overall size.


A close up of the press stud closure, which is in gun metal.



Two pen loops in a Pocket organiser is fairly unusual, but the Eton has one on each side so I put in my Filofax Mini Pen and Pencil.


For such a luxury organiser a cotton cream diary insert seemed appropriate. I also raided my stash of inserts for other cotton cream inserts to populate it.

I would love to get hold of a personal size Eton... if you have one you are willing to part with.. please contact me philofaxy at gmail dot com

11 comments:

  1. Darn it, Steve, a Personal Eton has long been my "grail" 'Fax, and I say that as an absolute user (my deteriorating Guildford will attest to that). Does anyone know about the history of this particular model, and why there's never been one made to the same standard since?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, this is a classic yet elegant model! I want one now lol. What other colors does it come in? I am sure the chances of me getting one will be hard but either way I loved this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Add me to the list for a personal Eton....so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Voices in my head are saying "Sell, Sell!"

    I wasn't planning to sell my Personal Eton, as I love this item and it was my first eBay purchase. However, I'd be foolish not to at least listen to what people are willing to offer.

    There are pictures on the "Filofax for Philofaxy Fans" FB group under "Photos" in the Folder "Alan Marshall's Binders - II" The first four pictures in the folder are my Personal Eton.

    alanmarshall.philofaxy [at] gmail [dot] com or message me on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just did a search on "Filofax Personal Eton" and found the following:

    Filofax Australia lists it on the website for AU$600 http://www.filofax.com.au/store/organiserdetails.asp?rangeid=68&sizeid=3&dsizeid=3

    One sold on eBay two years ago for GBP242 Item #250851227926

    Goldspot Gifts has it at $180 http://www.goldspot.com/Filofax_pens/Eton/FF-026702.html

    I KNOW I got a bargain when I bought it for GBP41.50 + 16 P&P!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Eton looks gorgeous! I love the leather, the pockets and the details like the gunmetal press stud! Even the zipper pull tab is nicer than the plain ones they use now. I appreciate that they put a flap of leather under the rings for longevity of the leather. I wish Filofax would return to binders like this: high quality soft leather and construction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! You and Steve have said it all: What Filofax users are looking for is a well-executed, timeless, classic.

      Delete
  7. it's awesome! I want one! I'm loving all the pockets inside :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad it went to a good home, Steve! If I ever sell my personal Eton, you'll be first on my list to contact.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perhaps someone might provide a definitive history of this iconic Filofax: what do we really know about it? Where was it made? dates? Come on someone must know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It first appeared in 2005.

      https://philofaxy.blogspot.com/2015/01/filofax-catalogue-uk-2005-6.html

      There is no indication apart from the three letter QC code as to where they were made. But the stitching is up there with the best at 9 s.p.i.

      Delete