02 December 2016

Free For All Friday No 420 by Laurie

For more than a year now I've been using my A5 Boston Filofax for everything: monthly and weekly planning, personal and work. I absolutely love this binder and I never want to give it up. But I've been struggling to plan my busy weeks in the A5 pages. So for 2017 I have decided to bust out of my binder into a bound planner book with a larger page size for my weekly planning.

I hear you: If I need more planning space, why not just use daily pages in my binder? Unfotunately I have to plan with a week view, it's the only way I function. Actually there are several reasons why I'm happy about changing out to a bound weekly planner: I can get a larger page size for planning, and my beautiful binder (with all my monthly, future-planning, holidays and birthdays planning, and all my work stuff) can stay at home where I don't have to worry about it getting damaged, lost or stolen. Win-win!

I've seen many other people do the same: they use their Filofax (whichever size) for everything except planning, and use a book with a larger page size for planning. Or, more commonly now, they use an app for planning and use their Filofax for other things.

Do you plan outside your Filofax?

And as always on Fridays, feel free to discuss/ ask anything ring-binder related!

7 comments:

  1. After the initial setup, the majority of my planning ends up on post-it notes which later get plopped into my planner. I am bouncing between Personal and A5. Differing paper sizes don’t bother me, so I just slip my calendar and any needed papers from the Personal-du-jour into the A5 which houses the more permanent notes. Then when I need to take my calendar with me, it’s a snap to slip them back into a Personal. No sync-ing, re-writing problems. I’ve been a die-hard Franklin Covey fan for years, but the 7 ring spacing unfortunately does not allow for this sort of flexibility even between their Compact and Classic sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everyone, happy Friday! I am planning with a triple of paper tools: one Bullet Journal for tasks management, one A5 time scheduler with a vertical week view and my personal FF. My FF is my EDC and I take a shot of my week view with my Smartphone for combining both on the go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This year I used my original weekly insert in my Franklin pocket binder but I replaced the binder with a cover with pockets. Since I no longer want the structure of a weekly format I designed an original yearly insert. Initially there was no separation between months but now there is a space before the first day of the month. There are numerous lines of each day. Unlike a weekly insert there are no days of another year on my yearly one. I trim only the width of the pages of a bound notebook and draw my format.

    I did not design the layout on the computer for several reasons. I do not want to bind so many pages. Also I do not want to cut sheets of different sizes for a bound notebook. One cannot just fold a stack of sheets of the same size. Several people demonstrated this mistake online and were puzzled at the unequal pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Be, would be great to get some pictures of your new lay-out. Whilst reading your post I could not imagine the usability. How do you do it?

      Delete
    2. I can request to write a description of my insert and include photographs for this site. I drew several months of my layout on the pages of a bound notebook but I then modified it with an additional space before the first day of each month. I purchased another exact notebook. The process requires trimming the pages and drawing additional lines and the format.

      There are five or six days on two pages of my yearly insert. There is an extra space before the first day of the month. On a horizontal format of a week on two pages insert there are four days on the left page and three days on the right page. I cannot place four days of my format on one page because there are too many lines of the day and the sheet is too short. On my layout the next month is immediately after the last day of the previous month.

      Delete
  4. Thank you dear Bee for your kind reply. It is always very interesting to see the ingenuity of other people and in the end a picture says more than thousand words, which makes me a visually kind of person. So, I hope You are going to have the opportunity to share your lay-out and how you are using it in another dedicated post for all Philofaxy loving souls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I admit to have carefully read your kind explanation without getting the full picture. Not your fault, just my perception type.

      Delete