16 August 2012

Filofax Pimlico wallet review

Laurie did a great review here on her Finsbury wallet, so at first I wasn't too sure about writing another post on such a similar subject. However, I've owned my Pimlico for over two years now, so I thought I would also discuss its durability and usability as it's been in constant use for all that time.
In the past, I've owned a succession of cheap and cheerful wallets with a velcro closure which were great, but they do start to look a bit grubby after a while. Part of my motivation for a change was when a friend's 10 year old son got out exactly the same wallet as mine and I knew I fancied something a bit nicer!

I managed to pick up this little beauty on eBay for a fraction of its original price.

   
It's a gorgeous vibrant red and I love that the leather has got more shiny with use. It still has some of that great leather smell and is just the right size to fit in the back pocket of my jeans. It's measurements are 12cms x 10cms, and its current width (with money, cards and the odd receipt in) is 3cms. There is enough space for my cards, notes and the poppered pocket holds a surprising amount of change.


The first place to show any signs of wear were the corners.


As part of the design, it seems that they stuck out slightly past the leather underneath, but I don't think they should wear any more than this now. Both poppers still shut with a healthy-sounding click. There is also some wear on the bottom of the spine from opening and closing, but I think the worst that will happen is I'll lose the edge of the leather in this small area as the stitching looks quite healthy.


As you can see from the pictures, the design is quite classic and I find that it's just the right size for me for everyday use. Other than these two areas of wear, it looks just as good as when I first received it and I hope it will last for many years to come.

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I'd never thought of getting a Filofax wallet before. May have to seriously think about getting one next time. Thanx for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me want a Filo wallet again, my friend.

    ReplyDelete