18 June 2018

Guest Post - Filofax Slimline modded with a mobile phone holder insert - Paul

Thank you to Paul for sending in this guest post.. I'm sure we all have a Slimline we could all modify in the same way... me included!

I'm a writer, and formerly was a massive Filofax user. My favourite organizer, my black Filofax Slimline wallet, has been with me for over a decade. But as technology advanced, I found myself doing more and more writing on mobile phones with handwriting recognition, and less and less in the Filofax.

As technology advanced, though, so has mobile phone screen size, so that I now use a device with a 5.5" screen - a Xiaomi Redmi Note 5A. That wasn't a good fit with the Filofax Pocket wallets that I made do with, but it made a good match for the Personal Slim size.

Initially, I tried stowing the phone in the organizer with a Filofax Organiser Pen Holder Personal, but the pocket on the pen holder, although big and robust enough for the phone, didn't let me use the screen while carrying it. So I made my own Filofax-sized mobile phone holder.


You can see the whole process in the photos. First, I cut a Filofax Personal-size page from a clear plastic DVD holder, and punched the six holes with a single-hole punch. Then I bought a cheap standard flexible plastic phone case for the Redmi Note 5A, and stapled it to the clear plastic sheet. I then taped over the staples with black masking tape, to protect the phone back.


Now I have a perfectly sized mobile phone holder for my phone, and can use my Filofax for notes and writing whenever I want to. This may be too heavy for some, but if I'm going to be carrying a phone in a case anyway, and want to have a Filofax with me, why not combine the two? And I'm happy to have given my Slimline a new lease of life.


Further Information: 

6 comments:

  1. I love creative ideas like this! A great way to combine digital with the best of analogue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No you have planted this idea in my head, I'm going to have to see if I can get my enormous pixel XL 2 to fit in my Slim Campagna...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant idea, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to try this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea for carrying phone and filofax with quick access to both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Idea , on my "do it today list"

    ReplyDelete