15 August 2024

Guest post series - 'Filohax' No. 12 - Paul

Thanks very much again to Paul for this twelfth instalment of his wonderful guest post series.
You can find all of the 'Filofhax' posts here.  

Making my own inserts

Steve's recent request (in the Philofaxy Facebook group) for members to post photos of their inserts made me reach for the Filohax pen - I've been unable to find printed inserts to suit my needs, so have resorted to making my own. Don't get me wrong, I'd love an off the shelf option, but my work schedule precludes this - one week I start work at 6.30am, the next at 11.15am. 

A bug bear of mine with printed inserts was how two pages never had space for my week, but because I can draw my own inserts I was able to rough a solution out without blowing loads of time or cash.

The other factor is the need for visibility of two weeks at a time while I'm out and about. The only solution I could think of was a two page week to view - by folding out, with the five days of the week getting top billing and the weekend gets just one vertical column, as this is all I need. You'll also see that I don't use these pages for to-do lists as I use a mini Finsbury for those. 

The end result isn't pretty, but it works - for me, and if my work or home situation changes, this can too. 



2 comments:

  1. If your diary is usually this sparsely populated, but you still need to have the timing versatility, then I was pondering having a set of 16 small boxes under each day entry in a wo1p layout, with normal space below for entries. The 16 boxes would represent 16 hours of 'day'. You could adjust the day hours 'window' by adding a bold line for midday, or highlighting hours up to midday.

    Then, when you need to add an entry in the day, draw a box around the relevant hours, write an entry number in that drawn box, and add the entry number and the event entry text in the normal way in the 'day box'.

    Might experiment with modifying my wo1p or wo2p scripts to add this 'day hours' box...

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've run into something similar, in a generic journal and came up with a similar set of solutions. Even printable pages don't quite do the job for me, so I've got very similar inserts for med tracking, calendar/diary, etc.

    Your estimation that it works for you, and when things change it can too, is spot on.

    ReplyDelete