16 August 2024

Free For All Friday No 823 by Laurie

 For today's FFAF, I'm going to piggyback off this comment by Klaus on my last FFAF:

I would like to ask you all if you have any experience combining two different diary inserts. My current inserts consist of one day per page until October 1st, and one week on two pages for the rest of the year. I intend to replace the weeklies with the dailies then every month.


There were a couple of good replies to this comment about using monthly views for longer-range planning, then switching to weekly or daily pages as the time gets closer and you need a more detailed view of your days.

This is one of my favourite things about using a ring organiser. I can adjust the granularity of my day views as needed. 

I generally have two years of monthly pages, plus one page per year for the following ten years. I have the current year or six months (depending on the ring size of the binder I'm using at the time) of weekly pages, which is where I do the majority of my planning. Then on the day if I need more space for notes or records/ daily log I use plain pages which I date and then archive with that week. 

Back when I used Franklin Planner pages they recommended having a certain number of months as the monthly view, weekly view, and daily view.

Do you have a system where you rotate through different time scale views for future plans and current plans? Or do you just have one view (weekly for example) that you plan from exclusively?

And as always on Fridays, feel free to ask and/ or discuss anything ring binder organiser related!

6 comments:

  1. Steve (or anyone ...) - do you know where the 2016 (first generation) Heritage binders were made? I'm planning a video showing the changes in quality between 2016 and 2024. The 2024 version is made in India. Also, in your "File of Facts" pp 80 you give the Heritage as being made of "Premium Leather". That's true of the new versions, but the first generation version is of buffalo leather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check the box mine came in to see if it mentions the country.

      Delete
    2. I have an A5 Compact from 2016 and a Personal purchased in August 2021.
      Neither of them have any labelling to indicate where they were made.

      The A5 from the first batch certainly has better leather particularly on the inside of the cover, it's labelled 'Genuine Leather' The Personal whilst the outside is similar the inside feels almost vinyl like, very smooth and cold, I'm glad I didn't pay full price for that one now! It just says 'Premium Leather'

      You might have seen people sharing photos of recent versions that have cracked on the inside.

      The Heritage is still for sale on FF France. No mention on the country of manufacture there either but the box will be labelled.

      Also worth noting that the A5 went from 16mm rings (which mine has) to 20 mm rings in 2021, noted on the website.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Steve. My A5 Compact from around about 2016 (possibly a couple of years later) is labelled "Buffalo Leather", so maybe at that time also they were manufacturing the products in different places. Your impression of the inside of the cover is the same as mine. I think the quality of the one I have just acquired from a shop in Vienna (Personal size, 16 mm rings) is fine, but you certainly do notice a difference if you lay it next to an older version.

      Delete
    4. I wonder if the quality/country changed in about 2021 when the A5 ringsize was changed.

      Delete
  2. Edit: My Heritage A5 Compact was bought in April 2018.

    ReplyDelete