26 August 2024

Printing Inserts in 2024 and beyond...'

I have been promising you this post for some time. I apologise if you have been struggling, I have been too. Let me explain by first going back in time, it might help you understand the issues a lot better. 

We started sharing our inserts back in 2012, although I was using them from about mid 2011 and as time progressed so the 'suite' of inserts grew. We have parred down the inserts we pre-prepare to a manageable number now, but the source files are available for the older ones for you to create your own for any year you wish. 

You will find our inserts here.

Creation of the files is one part of the equation, that over time hasn't really changed. Word and Excel have had some upgrades but that hasn't stopped us being able to create the finished product. 

What has changed is the ability to print the files, specifically if you want to print A5 inserts. The smaller sizes on A4 is simple double sided printing, that works as it always has. 

Our A5 files are formatted to A4 size, which when you booklet print them on A4 paper come out as A5 pages. You just then have to cut the A4 sheets in half and punch them. 

Why booklet print? 

  • A4 paper is freely available, it's the most common size of paper (well here in Europe). 
  • Printers can duplex (print both sides) of A4 paper. Do you know of a printer that can duplex A5 paper? Let me know in the comments. 
  • I can buy A5 paper but printing direct to A5 takes time and patience! 
A couple of years ago, an update to Word removed the option for booklet printing. At the time I wasn't sure if this was a MacOS change, a change to Word, or a change to the HP printer driver. I looked on line and lots of people had the same issue, but no one seemed to know what the root of the problem was. 

At the time I just used an older Mac with the old version of MacOS and Word to print my inserts, job done for another year. 

As time passed I wanted to find the solution to this issue, I eventually narrowed it down to being Word that had changed. They have removed booklet printing and replaced it with 'Book Fold' as a layout setting. It's explained on this support page

We have an answer? Well not quite, you have to reformat your document to get 'Book Fold' to work. And that would force everyone to having to use booklet printing or creating two versions of the same insert. Not something we liked the idea of.

Printing from PDF.

After looking for alternative solutions to this issue and consulting with Ray, we came up with a simple solution (or I thought it was at first) and that is to print the PDF of the files instead. In Word you can export to PDF and that works just fine. 

Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader includes Booklet Print as an option. The one issue I discovered was that MacOS and Windows 10/11 aren't the same in terms of the options available. It also seems to vary depending on what printer you are using. That has been the stumbling block to putting out this post. 

Therefore, you need to be aware that you might need to create a short 4 or 8 page document to experiment with before you tackle your full size diary insert printing. See the end of this post.

I strongly advise making notes on what settings you are using because I found that the software will often reset to its default settings after you have closed it. Helpful that.... not!

What worked for me was to print the pages as an image, this got rid of the extra margin that the PDF reader was adding around the pages. The printed pages were slow to print, but they didn't have massive margins. The ability to do page as an image varied between MacOS and Windows and also what printer I was using (I only have two printers) Therefore you will need to experiment with your own set up.
 
Accepting the small additional margin did change the look of the printed file compared to the file you will see on the screen, but it was acceptable. 

You could restructure the source files to allow for this extra margin, but we will not be altering our source files for this because I suspect that the additional margin might vary depending on what printer you are using. Printers have different printable area and margins.

LibreOffice Writer Version 24.2 
There is another solution to this issue that I have been testing and that was to use Libre Office Writer.

This is an Open Source version of an Office Suite of software including all the usual functions. It started life as Star Office and Open Office, it's developed a lot over the years and it a standard install on Linux operating systems. I don't think it can handle doing the mail merge of our source files (I've not tried it....yet) but it can read in Word and Excel files and importantly it still offers booklet printing. 

I discovered this of course after I had spent two days trying to solve the issue of printing my 2025 inserts!

However, LibreOffice is available for Linux, Mac and Windows. It comes in a variety of flavours including for older 32 bit systems, so it might be the easiest and cheapest solution. I have it already installed on my Linux Mint machines and I've also installed it on a Windows 11 machine.

If you are new to LibreOffice Writer and you are only using it to print off the diary insert files. There are some settings to check/alter before printing. Again use the test files before sending a full year to the printer. 

I found: 
  • I had to check that the printer had the duplex printing option installed. 
  • For booklet printing it was set to bind on the short side. 
  • If on opening the document you find the format of the document isn't correct, check the 'Page Style' in Format for the page margins, I generally set the top margin to 1cm and the bottom margin to 1.4cm. 
  • In the print option select booklet print and you should see it correctly in the preview window.
  • Printer Settings: Print Both Sides, Short Edge Binding and Landscape pages. Also check it is set to A4 not Letter size

Test Document: When printed using booklet print you should get all 8 pages printed in the correct order when folded on two sheets of A4 paper. I used these to test out the different software.
I found plenty of additional help on this topic via Google

Printing direct on to A5 paper. 
In some ways is easier except you can't duplex it apart from manually, (with my printers at least). 

Printing direct to A5 paper hasn't changed, you just set Word to print to A5 paper, scaling down the page size to 71% and to only print the 'Odd page' numbers first, then flip over your paper stack and print the 'Even page' numbers. 

In both runs make sure you are printing in normal not reverse order, also be sure to stack your pages the correct way around and in the right order for your printer, which side gets printed varies between printers. Again doing a test print of a 4 or 8 page document will iron out those things. 

Why print your own inserts?
By this point if you are still reading this you might be wondering why do people even print their own inserts? 

It's not because it is cheaper, I prefer to print my own because I then have: 
  • full control over the whole process, 
  • the layout, 
  • the holidays contained on the pages, 
  • the lack of multiple languages, 
  • not having QR codes on each day, 
  • the choice of paper that works with pens I use.
  • Assurance of continued availability of a particular layout that works for me.  
The future. 
Maintaining the ability to being able to create my own inserts and print them each year is an on going process. The end result might look the same, but the process to get to the printed pages seems to have to evolve as software and hardware changes, so I will be revisiting this topic in the future I'm sure. 

If you have any hints and tips please share them in the comments, I know I've not exhausted all avenues on this topic by a long way. 

Thank you for your patience and if you need any assistance please contact me by email, details on our 'About' page. 

11 comments:

  1. Thank you, a very helpful and thoughtful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PDFCreator (as a printer device) seems to have a booklet printing option (from LibreOffice). So you could print to a PDF booklet, and then print that PDF to your printer. I can do this on a laptop that has no other printer drivers installed, so it cannot be picking this facility up from anything other than PDFCreator. Though it may be built-in to LibreOffice...

    PDFSam is also useful for re-arranging pages, and other PDF functions.

    This is one of the reasons I create inserts in PostScript, and then use an imposition script to create printable, multi-page documents; I can control _exactly_ how pages are laid out on the printed sheet. I confess that it is a bit arcane for most users...

    Coincidentally, I spent a few hours yesterday writing a script to auto-generate your favourite diary pages, Steve; just a bit of work to do to sort out coping with narrower pages when auto-sizing the text.

    Kevin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kevin, I will look in to those other apps as a second line of defence !

      Delete
    2. Oops; my bad. It's Acrobat Reader (v2024.002.20991) that has the booklet printing option to PDFCreator.

      So the process is: print to PDF from LibreOffice (with required page size: check the preview shows the correct size), then use Acrobat Reader to print booklet to PDFCreator. Then print the booklet PDF.

      Delete
    3. Acrobat Reader can print in booklet format, that isn't an issue, the only small niggle is that it adds a small additional border around each page. I could allow for this extra border in the original files.

      I can create the PDF's already from MS Word, or from Libre Office.

      I don't think I need an additional stage of using PDF Creator?

      With Libre Office I can take my Word Files and print them in Booklet format and with no additional margins. That is the solution I will be using from now on.
      No need to modify the files to account for the extra border that the PDF reader adds to the files.

      Delete
    4. I was really addressing the 'Printing from PDF' booklet issue; if LibreOffice allows you to booklet print directly to your printer, without margins, then that's probably the easiest solution for you, from the Word doc.

      If people want to deal with PDF documents, then using a PDF Creator printer within Acrobat Reader allows you to use Acrobat's booklet printer, without margins.
      Print from any application to PDF.
      Print that PDF to booklet PDF using Acrobat printing to PDF Creator.
      Print the booklet PDF to a real printer using Acrobat.

      I'm struggling to get LibreOffice to print my Personal page size FreeForm inserts true size using the booklet option; it seems to insist on scaling to fit whatever paper you are using (i.e. will scale height to 210mm if landscape A4, or scale width to 105mm if portrait A4), or fails to centre the pages on the sheet, somewhat randomly. If I don't fiddle with any print settings, it prints true size to my page size definition (95x171), and I can then booklet print with Acrobat/PDF Creator. I've given up fighting with it, and will use a method that I can get to work.

      Delete
  3. My printer auto-duplexes to A5, I’ve got a Brother inkjet MFC-J5910DW and I used it back in April to print some of the Philofaxy week to view pages that I’ve customised on to A5 paper.
    I 150% recommend Brother printers over any other, as they are work horses. Other manufacturers I have had issues with often over the years, especially with the ink, but Brother printers have been solid since I got my first one. My current one is still going and it must be at least 10 years old now, it occasionally doesn’t like a sheet or two of paper but I suspect that’s more an age issue than much else and it’s getting tricky to get ink now again due to it’s age (always use official Brother high yield ink cartridges and they last ages as well as give excellent results).

    I do normally print my inserts from Word to PDF (as in from the Print options in Word, not just Save to PDF), then from Adobe Acrobat to my printer, which is my usual process as it makes it easier when the odd page or two needs reprinting, and I definitely did so this last time.

    I am looking to purchase another Brother printer soon, and I’m going to either get another like my existing Brother just newer, or an auto-duplexing colour laser - either way it will be a Brother printer.

    I print directly to A5 for my Filofax pages and A4 for everything else as I hate having to trim all the pages as well as punching them.

    I can’t remember if I used my Windows 10 or 11 laptop whilst doing the printing though but I suspect because I don’t need to use the print to booklet function my printing from either 10 or 11 it will still work ok for me either way, I am intrigued to have a look at doing some printing to check now though and also I might test my work printers out as I have a mono laser in my office and there are large colour multi-function shared devices I could test as well, especially to compare them to my Brother printer.

    I can even test from Libre Office as I have that at work. Great work arounds as ever, shame they are needed mind!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the information about your printer it is good to know that there are some out there that will duplex A5 paper

      Delete
    2. I've discovered the OKI C650 it will duplex A4, A5, A6, B5, B6 !! But it's a colour laser so it will be expensive to run I guess!

      Delete
    3. Yes the Brother printers that auto-duplex mostly do A5 and also smaller, some might not say they can do certain sizes but I managed to print something even customer services didn’t know it would do before.

      Interesting to hear about the OKI, heard of them but basically I’m stuck on Brother printers for now at least!
      I’ve been looking at the Brother lasers that are somewhat similar to that OKI C650, might not be as expensive as you think as I know the Brother colour lasers were ok if you got the high yield toners, then it depends on how much you use it as to the cost of replacement non-toner consumables that I forget the names of.

      My only gripe with Brother printers (inkjet and laser) is the paper trays don’t take a full ream, they fit 300 pages or something not 500. You can get extra trays though but still. Although this may not just be Brothers as the mono laser Konica (I think that’s what it is) in my office at work doesn’t fit an entire ream in the paper tray IIRC.

      Delete
  4. For years I had a HP 8600 All in one printer that auto-duplex on A5 paper. I recently had to buy a new printer which is HP 9130. HP decided to remove the auto-duplex for A5 paper. Now I have to print my calendars I dowloaded from this site on A4 paper and print with 2 pages on one and then cut them. So time consuming and I wished HP would leave the printer software alone, it did not need to be changed. Richard from United States.

    ReplyDelete